Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 8:57:56 AM EDT
After I saw Terminator 2 for the 500th or more times(not counting the good parts)I decided to find out what kind of shotgun he had. Well I did find out and of course I want one. But the Winchester guns are all worn out if you find one. I heard that a company called Tristar was supposed to build them. I have seen them in a few gun catalogs but never any where. Has anyone seen or heard of them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/1887.html
They have a list of distributors and a dealer locator in their site.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi I have a little bit more info to pass along.

being a Cowboy action shooter I am actually a member of the shooting group that Tristar mainly has in mind with the 1887 repro. and in fact over on the forum site maintained SASS (the largest of the CAS organizations) there is usually a weekly post concerning this gun.

the following is the Saga of the "tristar '87" up to the last time I bothered to read all the posts on those threads.   but to sum it all up in case you don't want to read it all....  

If you want an '87 clone don't hold your breath, it's gonna be awhile if ever. and if such ever does show up there's probably gonna be a bit of sticker shock!

the '87 repro listed by Tristar would actually be better called a 12ga version of the model 1901 (a 10ga smokeless proofed redesign of the '87), is supposed to be a 20" barreled version IIRC, and has been "listed" for at least 4-5 years now, as of yet but none have reached the general public.  first they were gonna be made in turkey then an Earthquake ruined the factory. then Lithgow in Australia (the state armory of Australia btw) made a deal to make them (lever action shotguns not being on the most recent Banned list handed down by the government of OZ, lithgow has a huge home market) but tristar backed out, supposedly over some of the guns not quite meeting tristar's specs for this that or the other thing. first they were saying the finish was poor, then they claimed that the casting used to make the receiver was "too porous".  this was AFTER about 2,000 guns had been sold by Lithgow to Aussie CAS shooters in a VERY finely finished limited edition with no complaints, and in fact rave reviews by all concerned.
many suspect that Tristar was a bit shocked by how much the Lithgow guns would cost THEM and realized that they couldn't import them from Australia and keep the MSRP within anything close to reason. if this theory is true then that means the retail cost to the shooter was over $2,000 as this was the quoted MSRP from tristar just before the lithgow deal went down the crapper.

tristar has set a number of different release dates over the past few years, I believe the earliest was for the Turkish made guns and was sometime in '97 or '98.  the delays and subsequent hemming and hawing have caused some to joke that that original release date was intended to be 2097!!

sorry to "talk your ear off" but I thought that those interested might want to know more background.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
D@mn I didn`t think that there was that many problems getting the guns over here.And I definatly don`t want to pay 2G`s for any kind off shotgun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top