Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 8:10:43 AM EDT
I found this 1957 FN-made 12ga Auto-5 yesterday. Honest wear. Original finish. 25.5" (counting the barrel extension) modified plain barrel. Honest wear with no cracks in the stock/hand-guard, FN butt-plate is in very nice shape.  I bought it because of overall condition the much more handy/useful modified barrel.  I gave $300.00 for it.

It seems every Auto-5 of that vintage (or older) I have come across lately has a 30"+ full-choke vent or solid rib barrel with a aftermarket recoil pad installed.....And a poly-choke to boot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Good find.  Congrats.  I have several FN Belgian Auto 5s.  One, a Light 12, has a similar 25" barrel but it is a vent rib cylinder choke for quail.

Hang onto that gun.  Shoot and enjoy it.  That shorter barrel handles like a dream.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I found this 1957 FN-made 12ga Auto-5 yesterday. Honest wear. Original finish. 25.5" (counting the barrel extension) modified plain barrel. Honest wear with no cracks in the stock/hand-guard, FN butt-plate is in very nice shape.  I bought it because of overall condition the much more handy/useful modified barrel.  I gave $300.00 for it.

It seems every Auto-5 of that vintage (or older) I have come across lately has a 30"+ full-choke vent or solid rib barrel with a aftermarket recoil pad installed.....And a poly-choke to boot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN6270--2--189940.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking browning
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like one I owned back in the day. Had several, but relatives wanted them more than I thought they were worth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Great find! 

The pad and choke you mention is a 1950's thing.  EVERYTHING got them.  It's part of the reason unmolested guns are hard to find, even though they were made in the millions. Same with model 12's. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
beautiful gun, I officially hate you.......
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 57 A-5 with 2 barrels, 30" ribbed and 18" cut down with bead site.

Got it on the very cheap, bought 3 sold 2 and this one is mine for free..
put plastic stocks on it, forestock was split like many..
was gonna sell it but thought I''s shoot it and see what the hubbub was about with these Browning
shotguns..

once I did, I decided it was a major keeper, used it for skeet, ducks and doves so far and love it
the 18" is surprisingly manageable with buckshot though the point of aim is off with the bead site
as it isn't high enough..

shoot it, enjoy it..it's addictive as hell...

Chef
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Great find and great price. you cannot say enough good things about these shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top