Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
Been hearing nothing but praises for this 870 clone, and that it works better then the new real 870 expresses. Any of you guys have them? How has reliability been, accuracy, etc?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a fairly close but NOT exact Chinese made copy of the Remington 870.
Quality is good but fit and finish is not up to American standards.  They can have more then a few burrs inside and out.

You can't use Remington 870 barrels because the barrel support ring is mounted farther toward the muzzle.
It is possible to make a special spacer to fit over the magazine tube that will allow using Remington barrels.

Reliability is excellent.  I have never heard of anyone breaking anything.
"Accuracy" really doesn't compute with a shotgun shooting shot those you pattern and the Chinese guns have open cylinder chokes last time I looked.  As a defense gun shooting buckshot they really don't need to pattern all that well.  
The few I've seen shooting slugs were at least slightly less accurate then a Remington.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a fairly close but NOT exact Chinese made copy of the Remington 870.
Quality is good but fit and finish is not up to American standards.  They can have more then a few burrs inside and out.

You can't use Remington 870 barrels because the barrel support ring is mounted farther toward the muzzle.
It is possible to make a special spacer to fit over the magazine tube that will allow using Remington barrels.

Reliability is excellent.  I have never heard of anyone breaking anything.
"Accuracy" really doesn't compute with a shotgun shooting shot those you pattern and the Chinese guns have open cylinder chokes last time I looked.  As a defense gun shooting buckshot they really don't need to pattern all that well.  
The few I've seen shooting slugs were at least slightly less accurate then a Remington.
View Quote

Cool, thanks for the info. I winded up ordering one earlier today with some extra 870 accessories for it. Im sure for HD, it will serve me just fine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
When you get it fully strip it, including the magazine tube assembly.  Don't disassemble the trigger unit.

Using a fine stone or a very fine cut Swiss file go on a "burr hunt" throughout the gun.
Any burrs or rough edges should be LIGHTLY smoothed.
Make sure the edge of the locking lug recess in the barrel extension is LIGHTLY broken and not sharp.
Lightly break the rear edge of the bolt locking lug and smooth the lower sides of the lug.
If necessary lightly smooth the lower side of the bolt and the bolt carrier slide edges and upper surfaces.
Make sure the edges of the lug on the bolt carrier are smooth and lightly rounded.
Check the action bars to make sure they're not bent or crooked, and if needed lightly break the sharp edges and corners of the bars.
Make sure the front face of the hammer is smooth.

Inspect everything carefully for debris left in by the factory.  That would include sawdust, metal chips and shavings, and filthy lubricant caked on or impacted in holes or slots.

Spray everything inside and out except the stock dripping wet with CLP Breakfree.
Let soak 15 minutes or so to give the CLP time to dissolve the factory sticky lube, then wipe off the excess.
Clean the inside of the barrel and chamber.
If it looks rough, put some 0000 steel wool or Scotchbrite pad on a shotgun rod and put it in a drill.
Run the drill at medium speeds keeping it moving up and down the barrel at all times.
This won't take more then a couple of minutes to shine up and smooth the bore and chamber.

Disassemble the extractor and it's spring and plunger from the bolt.  Clean the hole with solvent and apply CLP.

Reassemble the gun and either operate the action a couple of hundred times, or just shoot a few boxes of shells to smooth it all up.

This will go a long way toward correcting the roughness and sticky operation you usually find in Chinese guns.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When you get it fully strip it, including the magazine tube assembly.  Don't disassemble the trigger unit.

Using a fine stone or a very fine cut Swiss file go on a "burr hunt" throughout the gun.
Any burrs or rough edges should be LIGHTLY smoothed.
Make sure the edge of the locking lug recess in the barrel extension is LIGHTLY broken and not sharp.
Lightly break the rear edge of the bolt locking lug and smooth the lower sides of the lug.
If necessary lightly smooth the lower side of the bolt and the bolt carrier slide edges and upper surfaces.
Make sure the edges of the lug on the bolt carrier are smooth and lightly rounded.
Check the action bars to make sure they're not bent or crooked, and if needed lightly break the sharp edges and corners of the bars.
Make sure the front face of the hammer is smooth.

Inspect everything carefully for debris left in by the factory.  That would include sawdust, metal chips and shavings, and filthy lubricant caked on or impacted in holes or slots.

Spray everything inside and out except the stock dripping wet with CLP Breakfree.
Let soak 15 minutes or so to give the CLP time to dissolve the factory sticky lube, then wipe off the excess.
Clean the inside of the barrel and chamber.
If it looks rough, put some 0000 steel wool or Scotchbrite pad on a shotgun rod and put it in a drill.
Run the drill at medium speeds keeping it moving up and down the barrel at all times.
This won't take more then a couple of minutes to shine up and smooth the bore and chamber.

Disassemble the extractor and it's spring and plunger from the bolt.  Clean the hole with solvent and apply CLP.

Reassemble the gun and either operate the action a couple of hundred times, or just shoot a few boxes of shells to smooth it all up.

This will go a long way toward correcting the roughness and sticky operation you usually find in Chinese guns.

View Quote

Thanks for all the info you have provided me regarding the Hawk 982 shotgun. Do you know of any videos on youtube or posts that show you how to take apart the bolt, remove the mag spring, etc?  I just keep finding the very basic disassembly videos showing removing the barrel and the forearm / bolt
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was terribly rough until I went through it a little and smoothed things up. I didn't get as thorough as the above post, but I probably will since it's still pretty rough. They are also noticeably heavier than an 870. Overall it's OK for the cost, but I'll be upgrading some day to a 590a1.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm.....a lot of the reviews I read said it was pretty smooth right out of the box. I will find out soon enough, mine has been sitting at the FFL since 11am but they are slacking and I cannot get it until tomorrow they tell me now. I plan on lightly sanding dam near the entire inside of the receiver, action rails, bolt, carrier, etc and doing some light polishing on the bolt / carrier / action rails, so it should run like a champ
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

hmm.....a lot of the reviews I read said it was pretty smooth right out of the box. I will find out soon enough, mine has been sitting at the FFL since 11am but they are slacking and I cannot get it until tomorrow they tell me now. I plan on lightly sanding dam near the entire inside of the receiver, action rails, bolt, carrier, etc and doing some light polishing on the bolt / carrier / action rails, so it should run like a champ
View Quote
I'm sure they all vary to some degree, but mine was pretty darn rough. But it improves a ton with just a little work. You should get it where it's good enough in no time. I didn't get near as intense as you're describing. I lightly sanded the worst parts of the bolt/carrier and it made a huge difference. Didn't touch the receiver or action bars.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
They're nice but very heavy compared to a similarly equipped Rem 870.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Picked mine up yesterday evening. Wont shoot it until Sunday but I am very impressed with it so far. Action was good out of box (running it with one hand to charge the weapon was easy). I broke it down, barely any factory "gunk" in it, and I mean barely at all. Hand polished the bolt / action bars with 320>800>1200 sandpaper in 20 minutes to where they are butter slick, and polished the chamber a little as it was very smooth already. Pretty sure when I take it out its going to run like a champ.

After the clean, de-bur, and polish jobs were done, it was time to swap out some parts. Put on the Magpul SGA stock / forend, 4 round shotgun card on the side of the stock, S&J type 3 follower, wolf XP mag spring, Limbsaver airtech recoil pad, and a Mesa Tactical 6rd side saddle. If it fires good this weekend, its deff a keeper

It is heavier then a 870, but as an HD gun that will sit next to the bed, the weight does not play much of a factor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top