Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2015 4:45:29 PM EDT
I went to Walmart since it was the only place open after 5:00 pm Tuesday to get my wife's tire patched.  While waiting on the tire to get fixed I browsed the gun rack.  I came home with a Mossberg 930 with the stand-off/breacher barrel for $249.  I am not a fan of the breacher barrel but i figured that you couldn't go wrong for less than $300.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I think i will probably purchase either a 24 or 22 inch barrel that's threaded for choke tubes to add some utility and hunting capabilities.  I also plan on adding an extended magazine tube.  Any advice on which one to go with?  Also, with the breacher barrel am I able to add a +4 extension, or am I limited to a +2?  Does anyone know if the 24 inch 930 turkey barrel is any different than the 24 inch JM Pro barrel?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went to Walmart since it was the only place open after 5:00 pm Tuesday to get my wife's tire patched.  While waiting on the tire to get fixed I browsed the gun rack.  I came home with a Mossberg 930 with the stand-off/breacher barrel for $249.  I am not a fan of the breacher barrel but i figured that you couldn't go wrong for less than $300.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I think i will probably purchase either a 24 or 22 inch barrel that's threaded for choke tubes to add some utility and hunting capabilities.  I also plan on adding an extended magazine tube.  Any advice on which one to go with?  Also, with the breacher barrel am I able to add a +4 extension, or am I limited to a +2?  Does anyone know if the 24 inch 930 turkey barrel is any different than the 24 inch JM Pro barrel?
View Quote

You should check out other Walmart's in the area.  I got a mossberg 835 for 169 just last week with 24" barrel on clearance. That was about the same or less then a new barrel.  It will be my new turkey gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack the thread, but I did the same thing.  Granted at $249 we couldn't go wrong but, are these things any good?  I'm not much of a shotgun person.

By the way, I'm interested in the same info you are looking at...hunting barrel...magazine extension.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got one @ 249 this morning at Wally, no idea if it's any good but it had a 517 price on it and for a semi auto I will gladly take a chance. metal trigger guard,and made in USA are good points.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but I did the same thing.  Granted at $249 we couldn't go wrong but, are these things any good?  I'm not much of a shotgun person.

By the way, I'm interested in the same info you are looking at...hunting barrel...magazine extension.
View Quote

A 930 is a great gun at that price.  At a minimum you can use it for trading if you don't like it at all and just want to dump it.   The biggest mistake I see people do is trying to use them for hunting and home duty.   By doing this you just have one gun in the end that does a little bit of everything but not one thing very good..  There are to many deals out there to not have dedicated guns And the cost is not that much more in the end.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up the same model along with a model 500 Flex for the same price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got one @ 249 this morning at Wally, no idea if it's any good but it had a 517 price on it and for a semi auto I will gladly take a chance. metal trigger guard,and made in USA are good points.
View Quote

Which walmart and were there more?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like ill be going to walmaft tomorrow!  I want one!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine was the last at our Walmart.

What customization options are out there?

I shot it for the first time with a mix of birdshot, slugs and buckshot it fed it all. Loved it possibly the most fun gun I own. My only complaint is that my thumb got stuck between the lifter and receiver multiple times. I did manage to get an accidental ghost load.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I shot it for the first time with a mix of birdshot, slugs and buckshot it fed it all. Loved it possibly the most fun gun I own. My only complaint is that my thumb got stuck between the lifter and receiver multiple times. I did manage to get an accidental ghost load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw in this video @ 9:20 she shows a welded loading gate, should fix the thumb problem. lots of good about this Rifle, for the price, I think. I replied to your IM Andrew_Henry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1vSeg0nFI

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Shot it last weekend, did not take it apart and clean before shooting, just blasted clp on it and it ran perfect. light recoil very smooth action. very happy with it and I'm keeping it. just shot Federal and Winchester 1 1/8 oz basic stuff.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saw in this video @ 9:20 she shows a welded loading gate, should fix the thumb problem. lots of good about this Rifle, for the price, I think. I replied to your IM Andrew_Henry

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welded loading gate
 Get one HERE
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I got in on one too for $240. I went for 1/2 and 1/2 in the morning and came home with it.  They gave me an extra $25 off as they had it logged in the bound book wrong and the transfer took an hour.

Haven't gotten around to shooting it yet, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

IMG_4781 by splittiebus 66, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If you dont like it let me know, ill get your money back
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I got in on one too for $240. I went for 1/2 and 1/2 in the morning and came home with it.  They gave me an extra $25 off as they had it logged in the bound book wrong and the transfer took an hour.

Haven't gotten around to shooting it yet, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5677/20918387845_190d6f1993_k.jpgIMG_4781 by splittiebus 66, on Flickr
View Quote
Wat kind of shell holder are you sporting on that fine looking unit. I also need an extension tube.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I cut some industrial Velcro to fit the side of the receiver. The shell cards are by Esstac and are available at SKD tac. I've heard of people torquing the aftermarket fixed holders too tight and binding the receiver. The cards are a no brainer and you can carry a few with you into the field etc.

I'm pondering the extension as well, looks like several options with mixed reviews regarding durability and function.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top