Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 10:28:57 PM EDT
I got a screaming deal on a 1990 production Ithaca m37 DSPS 8 shot but am having no luck with finding any sort of real armorer manuals or guides. I know there are some expensive books out there that talk about Ithaca but is there anything from the factory or something like a Jerry Khunhausen book that really dives into the nuts and bolts? Any help would be great!

Josh
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you trying to do that would require a manual or guide?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm an armorer for other brands so I like to have all the info I can for the guns I own and work on at my job. But specifically the raybar front insert was snapped off. I have a replacement but no guide for how to replace it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the sides of the dovetail for cracking or other damage. Weld the cracks and smooth out any burrs.

Push the round detent down and slide the broken plastic out, forward towards muzzle.

Your replacement sight will be slightly large, need to run the left and right sides against a fine file to slowly remove material evenly.

Test the fit by trying to ease the replacement sight into the dovetail slot. It should slide in with a tiny amount of drag...dont force it in as this will cause it the crack and easily break.

Remmember to hold the retaining detent down as you slide the sight into place. It should pop up and prevent the sight from sliding out when released.

The Ithaca 37/87 is a good shotgun, but it does require parts fitting to replace most stuff.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I see.  That's a good one.  If nobody offers any help in the next day or two, I'll take my Ray-Bar equipped Deerslayer out and see if I can give you any insight.

**Looks like someone already answered while I wasn't paying attention.  I hope it helps.*
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a John Browning design.  I took one of mine apart several years ago and it wasn't hard to get apart or put back together.

I've seen some little paper books at gun shows that also seem to show some pretty good detail/info on tear down and reassembly but I can't remember the name or publisher.

I've bought them for the Auto 5, another John Browning design and if you tear down both you'll see some similarities in the designs.

Found them on the internet.  I've bought some over the years and had some bought for me as gifts.  The only one I've used is the one for the Auto 5.  It helped me get the bolt out and apart (complete tear down, cleaning, lubing and reassembly of a mid 30's Auto 5 that I rescued from a local gun store.)

http://www.gunbrain.net/
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
So I don't know if there was a design change somewhere along the line but there was just a single screw holding the whole assembly on the barrel. It was also holding a small leaf spring in place that kept pressure on the back of the sight. A few seconds with a Bic lighter and the broken sight shriveled up and fell out. A few file strokes on the front corners and sides and I was back in business. Now on to refinishing the stocks!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
It will not help you much with the disassembly but "featherlight repeaters" by Walter Claude Snyder is a great Ithaca 37/87 resource.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top