Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2015 11:19:12 AM EDT
My Mossy 500 has been turned in to my hunting and GP gun.  Right now I have an 18.5 IC and a 28" Mod barrel for it that came with the gun.  Shooting slugs is a must and maybe other GP odd jobs, snakes, small birds et cetera. I narrowed it to a 24" IC barrel with rifle sights and a 20" VR with chokes.  I am partial to shorter barrels typically.  Easier for a short guy to deal with.  I knocked 1.5" off the stock for the same reason.  Which of these barrels would be a better all around barrel?  If I went with the VR I would probably mount tru glo sights on it for the slugs.  

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/819612/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-24-cylinder-bore-with-rifle-sights-ported-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1843155347/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-blue

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
As a 500 owner myself I would say if there is any chance in hell that you would be shooting anything other than buck or slugs through it then get an interchangeable choke barrel. I say that because the first link had a fixed choke barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 20 in vr with chokes.

I love it.  

I hunt a bit and use it for HD.  I shot slugs really good at 25yds. And destroyed 2l bottles at 50 with just the double beads.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 20 in vr with chokes.

I love it.  

I hunt a bit and use it for HD.  I shot slugs really good at 25yds. And destroyed 2l bottles at 50 with just the double beads.

View Quote

yes. the 20 inch with screw in chokes. mine is a camo turkey 20 inch, vent rib, screw in choke model. I believe you could get a extened carlson rifled choke tube also if needed?

it is light and handy. you might be able to find the whole shotgun used for a little more than a new barrel would run. I know I gave less than 200.00 for mine about 3 years back and I don't think whoever owned shot more than a couple rounds through it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top