Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 7:29:23 AM EDT
Hi guys, AR vet but I'm a fudgun noob. I'm looking into shotguns. It's narrowed down to these 2. Help me out picking a basic one.

Benelli Nova pump - $420 at LGS
-pump
- 4 +1
-28" barrel

Mossberg 930 combo for $600 at LGS
- semi auto
- 4+1
- comes with 2 barrels that swap out: 18.5" & 28"

I'm thinking the Benelli for these reasons:
- quality
- $200 less
- Not sure I care about the shorter barrel?
- Not sure I can about semi-auto
- sketchy reviews of 930?
- maintenance issues with semis?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you want it for?  Hunting, sporting clays, home defense?  

I have a Mossberg 935 (basically 930 with 3.5" chamber) that has been my waterfowl gun for several seasons now.  Not sure what your unfavorable reviews said, but mine has been in some pretty harsh conditions and the only issues I have had was when oil started to freeze on some particularly cold morning hunts.  However, if you don't care about haing a shorter barrel, there is no compelling reason to go with the 930 combo.  I still dove hunt with a pump.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I really have no purpose, just want one before 2014 when the transactions for long guns get more rigorous.

So you're saying pump is not really a losing component? I'm just uneasy with the idea of semis: I want something basic that I won't have to worry about maintenance and reliability.

Any noticeable recoil difference between semi and pump? (for the wife)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
For me, pump action is not a deal-breaker.  I have several pumps and only one semi-auto shotgun - and the pumps still see plenty of use.  However, if your wife has questionable coordination, the pump action may not be for her.  Also, unless the Nova comes equipped with Benelli's recoil reduction system, you will likely have less felt recoil in the 930 when shooting the same loads.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I will always have a couple pumps but the vast majority of my shooting is semi autos.

The 930 is one of the few I haven't shot much or owned. Out of the two choices you posted I would pick that because of the versatility of both barrels. If you don't want the short one sell it and the price is even closer.

Nova is a good gun but if I was going to buy a pump I would probably get a Remington 870. Some of the newer ones are rougher than their predecessors but it is still the benchmark of the pump gun world.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my 930SPX, and I had a Nova for a while.  I prefer my 835's for a 3.5" pump gun.  Too much plastic in the Nova...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I know i'm comparing apples to oranges here. I just don't know about the semi mossberg.

Now to throw in another factor for the Benelli, I don't even know if I want 18.5 or 28. What do you think?

Essentially I don't know what is best for me. I have no specific plans for its use:

• Mossberg semi 18 & 28 barrel ($600)
    Benelli Nova pump 18 ($400)
    Benelli Nova pump 28 ($420)

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have no specific plans it is impossible to recommend a specific gun other than the combo as it is more versatile. What are you unsure of on the Mossberg?

The longer barrel is used for any of the clay shooting sports as well as most all hunting. Defensive and fun blasting usually takes place with a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
As stated, given your lack of specific use the Mossberg combo is far more flexible - lending itself out of the box to sporting use or home defense with no further investment required.  I would go with the 930 hands down and not look back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 930 and really like it.  Two barrels is always better than one!
I have also gotten away from pumps, just a personal decision.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm. Ferrari for 400 bucks or KIA for 600. Thats a tough one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda what i'm thinking. Now I'm deciding on 18.5 or 28.

The likelihood of me hunting with it (unless SHTF) is pretty low
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since when is a polymer Nova a ferrari?
Who here has ever actually owned, handled or fired a Nova?

The Nova is to Benelli what the Aztec was to GM.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you. It's a decent gun but to call it a Ferrari compared to the Mossberg is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm with you. It's a decent gun but to call it a Ferrari compared to the Mossberg is pretty funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've owned and worked on plenty of shotguns, and the Nova, while decent for the price, is NOT like other Benellis when it comes to quality and fit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Agreed. It is very apparent when you compare a Nova to something like a M2.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This all goes without saying. The m2 is nearly 3x the price of the nova. I'm not comparing the nova to the m2,
I'm comparing it to a 930.

My concern is any problems with the 930. Reviews for reliability are all over the place. My consideration of the benelli was to play it safe with a quality pump for $200 less.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This all goes without saying. The m2 is nearly 3x the price of the nova. I'm not comparing the nova to the m2,

My concern is any problems with the 930. Reviews for reliability are all over the place. My consideration of the benelli was to play it safe with a quality pump for $200 less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apples and oranges all in this thread You can find new Mossberg 500's for $300...

Truth be told, I would rather have a Mossberg 500, 535, 590, 835 or Rem 870 over a Nova.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
What he said, I have and have had them all except the Nova.

Lack of modification parts and stock options always makes me pass.

Fit is EVERYTHING with a shot gun and for the most part with a Nova you are stuck if it does not fit you, all the others can be tweaked or get different dimension stocks for them so they shoot where you look..

Nothing worse than a shotgun that beats the snot out of you due to poor fit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a die hard Remington guy and would buy a 590 before a nova. The mag disconnect on be nova is awesome but other than that it doesn't really do anything better than a Remington of Mossberg.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I think we have been had guys.  I think this is another one of those "I am going to ask for input when I am really looking for someone else to validate my decision" threads.  Of everyone who has replied, only one person was clearly in favor of the Nova and OP instantly jumped in saying that was the direction he is leaning despite every one else saying Mossberg.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think we have been had guys.  I think this is another one of those "I am going to ask for input when I am really looking for someone else to validate my decision" threads.  Of everyone who has replied, only one person was clearly in favor of the Nova and OP instantly jumped in saying that was the direction he is leaning despite every one else saying Mossberg.
View Quote

And the one guy voting for the Nova has probably never actually touched one, or he wouldn't have called it a Ferrari...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And the one guy voting for the Nova has probably never actually touched one, or he wouldn't have called it a Ferrari...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea it was kinda like that in the beginning. However I am considering the 590 or 870 now.

I bought the mossberg 930 combo on a whim while in LGS. But then realized I didn't know much about it. Was considering swapping it for the nova. Then  was able to just get my money back for now. They knew I was up in the air
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea it was kinda like that in the beginning. However I am considering the 590 or 870 now.

I bought the mossberg 930 combo on a whim while in LGS. But then realized I didn't know much about it. Was considering swapping it for the nova. Then  was able to just get my money back for now. They knew I was up in the air

What about it makes you uneasy??? Having never used one you don't seem to be very clear about your aversion to it
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What about it makes you uneasy??? Having never used one you don't seem to be very clear about your aversion to it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The string of problems early on, usually either involving a canted front sight or lots of failures (usually ammo related)
Win SuperSpeed and SuperTrap, for instance, won't run for crap, something about the hull, but that is common across a lot of gas guns.

People don't usually start threads unless something isn't working right, and so you get a disproportionate amount of negative reviews.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#25]
IMHO

I think he made a good choice.  To go the pump route.

Unless you are very lucky on a 930 it does take some upkeep and tweaking to keep it running.
After 3000+ rounds thru mine I can almost predict when it will hiccup. If not cleaned after about 300rds. a weeks shooting for me or less it will hiccup.
Go over to the Enos site and check the threads, these are some pretty smart guys who run them hard and expose the flaws quick
There were high hopes for the 930 under hard use at the beginning, it got to the point the super tuners won't even look at the 930.

I am primarily a shotgun guy and shoot 13,000+ shells a year in all shotgun platforms and have had a large number of shotguns come and go over the last 32yrs. of serious scattergunning.

For staring out and getting into shotgun especially HOME PROTECTION a pump is a better choice for someone not extremely good with an autojacker when it hiccups .

I have used Berretta, Browning, Remington and Mossberg at clays and some of them in 3gun and have had everyone hiccup at least  one critical time to degrade my scores.
Always a nagging thought for Home Defence.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a "Well  Used" 835 from a neighbor for $50 earlier this year, then spent another $150 for an 18.5" Heavy-Walled Security Barrel, and a Heat Shield & shipping at Mossberg.
Later while watching the EE Thread "Shotgun Parts & Accessories", I purchased from one member, an 835, 24" Rifle-Sighted, Ported, Rifled, Slug Barrel for $90 shipped, and from another member an 835, 28" Vent-Ribbed Choked Barrel for $100 shipped.
With all the other parts I've purchased from places like Choate and GG&G, I now have a little over $525 into her.
And now I have a barrel for all seasons, and a my 835 will Feed, Shoot & Eject every  2 3/4", 3", & 3.5" 12Ga. Shell that I can put in the Mag Tube or the Chamber.
And I even got lucky, because my 835 will feed, shoot & eject the Aquila 2.5" Mini-Shells, when I can find them.  I don't usually have any issue's finding the Aquila 1 3/4" shells locally, but their 2.5" shells are hard to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top