Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2013 4:43:53 PM EDT
Having seen a few but never shot any I have a recent obsession with finding a single shot break barrel 10 gauge to cut down to 18.5".  I am pretty sure New England still makes this but what are some older makes/models to look for, for a cheaper donor?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for a cheap NEF.

I did one out of a gunshow find, and holy crap is it fun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Would definitely be fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've long thought a tactical 10ga pump or self-loader could be a LOT of fun.

Does Remington even make a 10ga anymore?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
We shall call it thumper...
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't had much luck on gunbroker.  Only see a couple H&R's both in the $300 range.  More than I want to spend for customizing a project...

Just came across a NEF SB2 3.5" mag for $200 opening bid.  I'll keep an eye on that one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
On my list is an Ithaca MAG-10 SBS....
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On my list is an Ithaca MAG-10 SBS....
View Quote

Thanks, now I have another on my list.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep an eye out at gunshows.

Dad got a H&R singleshot 10 gauge for $125 last gunshow.  Passed on one for $175 the show before.

I love the thing and am having the same thought.....cept I better get another one or dad will tan my hide.  He's already got a pump, a SXS. Now he's looking for a semi-auto to complete the setup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't imagine what a cut-down single-shot would be like as my little BPS is a beast to be sure.

Got a nice 10ga BPS off gunbroker a while back for a good price with the intention of cutting it down. Steve Rose (GunCat) at Rose Action Sports cut and crowned the barrel for me as well as removed the posts for the rib and then installed the base and bead; all his work is perfect! Then had a local gunsmith finish off the receiver end of the rib; he did a crappy job and wound up bending the action bars so the gun won't function. Have been kinda disenchanted with it for a while now, need to get the action bars fixed or replaced then have the whole affair parkerized and get the sheen off the wood. It is a cool gun, but a novelty and completely useless, so don't get too deep into one as there is really no market for resale. That being said, I still want an Ithaca Mag 10 Road Blocker

Nothing quite like that sewer pipe!

In this pic you can see whats left of the begining of the rib sticking off the top of the barrel and receiver. Steve did a GREAT job on the barrel. The local gunsmith who did the work on the receiver made a mess of it and bent the action rods.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Why? . . . .

What could the possible benefit/use of such a shotgun be? Is there some scenario where you imagine that a whacked off single shot 10 gauge would be the perfect firearm in your battery? Don't get me wrong. It's a free country (more or less) and you can do what you want with your money and your guns (within the confines of the GCA and NFA) but WHY? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The NEF guns have silly water pipe like barrels . For a 18.5 10ga that might be just what the doctor ordered .

Some of the other posters mentioned such a gun might not have much real use but I suspect it could be a real hoot.
That in itself is good enough reason
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Punt gun....
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no why.  Only why not.  I have no real use for it and I'd probably end up shooting it twice a year, but who cares.
Yeah the barrel would be going to steve.  He did my Remington 11.  Cut down to 18.5, site base/bead moved and threaded for tru-chokes.  Very happy with his work.

I have my eye on an auction ending in a few hours that will hopefully be in my budget plus the seller takes credit cards.  lol.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Did you win that? What's kinda choke is on the end?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't imagine what a cut-down single-shot would be like as my little BPS is a beast to be sure.

Got a nice 10ga BPS off gunbroker a while back for a good price with the intention of cutting it down. Steve Rose (GunCat) at Rose Action Sports cut and crowned the barrel for me as well as removed the posts for the rib and then installed the base and bead; all his work is perfect! Then had a local gunsmith finish off the receiver end of the rib; he did a crappy job and wound up bending the action bars so the gun won't function. Have been kinda disenchanted with it for a while now, need to get the action bars fixed or replaced then have the whole affair parkerized and get the sheen off the wood. It is a cool gun, but a novelty and completely useless, so don't get too deep into one as there is really no market for resale. That being said, I still want an Ithaca Mag 10 Road Blocker

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/DSC02568.jpg

In this pic you can see whats left of the begining of the rib sticking off the top of the barrel and receiver. Steve did a GREAT job on the barrel. The local gunsmith who did the work on the receiver made a mess of it and bent the action rods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/0109121406.jpg
View Quote

I jizzed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Remington SP-10 and it is awesome. I have always thought about the shear amount of lead that could be tossed out of a shorter barrel and the blast of it all. I have a 26 inch barrel and with the action length it seems even longer. it kicked less than most 3.5  magnum .12 ga loaded guns.

it is a behemouth to carry though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why? . . . .

What could the possible benefit/use of such a shotgun be? Is there some scenario where you imagine that a whacked off single shot 10 gauge would be the perfect firearm in your battery? Don't get me wrong. It's a free country (more or less) and you can do what you want with your money and your guns (within the confines of the GCA and NFA) but WHY? Inquiring minds want to know.
View Quote

Because 12ga is for pussies.

Zero practical reason other than because its fun.
I shoot mine literally 3x a year, but God DAMN is it fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why? . . . .

What could the possible benefit/use of such a shotgun be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why? . . . .

What could the possible benefit/use of such a shotgun be?

From where I sit (keyboard commando) its just one of those things that really turns your crank. For me an SBRed PSL and AMT Automag III (in 30 carbean) are also on the list. Imagine most folks have a couple different completely useless toys in the collection.

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/DSC02568.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/shotgun/0109121406.jpg

I jizzed.

Thats what I live for
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, no idea on the choke.  It's getting cut off anyway.  I'm not going to bother having it rethreaded for the amount of use this will see.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
You do know that you can take a 410,28guage,20,16,12,10,8gage and any other gauge and put a twoxfour about 12 inches from them and it will be just the

ammount of wood that gets blasted through them don't you?

The guage is about the ammounnt of lead that is tosed into the air ,and the powder that is needed to toss it.

Just like a 45,50,or 64 cal blk powder rifle ,they all will do just fine.

I like the 8 guage ,but ten will do fine,and the 12 guage will do anything the others won;t.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked it up today.

Picking up a shell holder for the stock, a sling and sending off the barrel to Steve Monday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 10 gauge double.  Its a hoot to shoot, but the price and scarcity of shells will have you discouraged.  I enjoy the full payload, but mostly I save the expensive 10 gauge for special occassions and use Gauagemate adapters and shoot 20 gauge in it for plinking, then at the end of a session bring out the few 10 gauge loads.  Gaugemate or others make 10 gauge chamber adapter.  Reduces down to 12 or 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to look that up.  I have more 12ga than I know what to do with.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Jconnet, is the 10Ga., an SB2 or something else?  I know my 12Ga NEF is an SB1.
Also, those Gaugemate adapters do look like a nice addition to the Singe-Shot battery
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Picked it up today.

<a href="http://s257.photobucket.com/user/beaniamyota/media/nef10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/beaniamyota/nef10.jpg</a>

Picking up a shell holder for the stock, a sling and sending off the barrel to Steve Monday.
View Quote

Who is this Steve you speak of? I have been looking for a good smith for some work I've been wanting to get done.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Haven't had much luck on gunbroker.  Only see a couple H&R's both in the $300 range.  More than I want to spend for customizing a project...

Just came across a NEF SB2 3.5" mag for $200 opening bid.  I'll keep an eye on that one.
View Quote

If you're a recoil junkie, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I had a NEF SB2 10ga in 3.5" mag.

I stopped at a T/C encore with a 7mm Rem Mag barrel. That'd make my arm go numb at every shot.

Had a friend with a Ruger No1 in 416 Rigby, wasn't too much fun either.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Steve at Rose Action Sports.  Goes by "Guncat"

It's an SB2
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's an SB2
View Quote

He's a great guy, chopped all 3 of my H&R's (12, 20 and 410)

This thread makes me want to get a 10 as well
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an SB2

Do they have a website?
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why? . . . .

View Quote

The scenario is a day at the range with friends and family.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I think it would be a BLAST to shoot !  Would lengthening the Forcing Cone help reduce felt recoil?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Jconnet,

Normally we talk about barrel shortening in terms of “inches” removed but in this case I think “pounds” might be more accurate. There's half a pound of barrel left laying on the bench - and look at that wall thickness on this beast, almost 1/4” thick!

Have fun with it!

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like a piece of DOM roll cage.  Or a small cannon.  Looks good, can't wait to try it out.  Now if I could find some slugs or buckshot that weren't about $8 a shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Lousy cell phone picture
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I swear I saw a harpoon gun that looked like this. Used blanks to shoot a glorified lawn dart at whales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top