Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 10:16:47 AM EDT
it came factory with just a front sight bead, any thoughts on a rear sight bead or something better?

unfortunately i don't know much about shotgun beads at all - she loves trap/skeet shooting.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely no need for a rear bead.  Shooting a shotgun for clays is much more like throwing a football than aiming a rifle.  You don't need two reference points on the rib of your gun, proper stock fit is far more important and disciplining yourself to keep your head down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Mid beads just help with allignment. A gunsmith should be able to install one without much trouble.

Hi Viz makes sight beads that do the same thing without needing a gunsmith.

I have a Hi Viz comp sight and a mid bead on my 686 sporting and the combo works great for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Absolutely no need for a rear bead.  Shooting a shotgun for clays is much more like throwing a football than aiming a rifle.  You don't need two reference points on the rib of your gun, proper stock fit is far more important and disciplining yourself to keep your head down.
View Quote

Quoted:
Mid beads just help with allignment. A gunsmith should be able to install one without much trouble.
Hi Viz makes sight beads that do the same thing without needing a gunsmith.
I have a Hi Viz comp sight and a mid bead on my 686 sporting and the combo works great for me.
View Quote

They are both right and kinda saying the same thing… A mid bead can help make sure you mount the gun to your shoulder the same way every time and the rear sight (ie: your eyes) are looking down the gun the same way every time.  After that your vision focus should be on the target, not the bead(s)

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a factory Hi-viz on my Beretta, or maybe the browning, I can't remember.
I can't for the life of me tell you what color rod is in the front sight.

Once you realize that the front bead just keeps you from hitting the bird, you forget about it.

Not trying to be  shotgun snob, but if you're checking the bead, you're behind the bird.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an occasional cross dominance issue with my left eye. The mid bead helps with this (as well as a properly placed piece of tape on my glasses). After mounting the gun I don't use the beads as much. I focus on the target but still see the bead. That is how I find my leads, works very well for me, YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top