Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2013 9:07:09 AM EDT
I realize that sabot slugs are for rifled barrels but exactly how terrible is accuracy with sabot slugs out of a Versa Max with an Improved Cylinder (IC) choked barrel?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Terrible inaccurate.

If you want to use sabot slugs you either need a rifled barrel or a rifled choke

Rifle choke puts a slight twist but works better than nothing
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used sabot slug through Remington 870 and Benelli M1 & M3 with acceptable hits out to 50 yards.

Acceptable for defensive use. I imagine if one was using them for hunting this would not be acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used sabot slug through Remington 870 and Benelli M1 & M3 with acceptable hits out to 50 yards.

Acceptable for defensive use. I imagine if one was using them for hunting this would not be acceptable.
View Quote

If you are hitting 50 yards out why waste the money on a sabot instead of rifled slugs
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If it can hit an 8" circle at 50, that's good enough.
I didn't realize there was a difference between Remington Slugger type slugs and a sabot slug. I only got 2 boxes so not a big investment. Almost 17 per box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it can hit an 8" circle at 50, that's good enough.
I didn't realize there was a difference between Remington Slugger type slugs and a sabot slug. I only got 2 boxes so not a big investment. Almost 17 per box.
View Quote

If you are aiming for 50 yards stick with the rifled slugs. I can eat a dollar a shot vs 3.50 a shot

Sabot slugs are intended for 100-150 yard shots specially in states that require a "shot gun only" like IL and IA
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You are right, I understand it's pointless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you are hitting 50 yards out why waste the money on a sabot instead of rifled slugs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my past profession the sabot seemed to defeat soft body armor and car doors better!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In my past profession the sabot seemed to defeat soft body armor and car doors better!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah that makes sense, cool too
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
When the sabot slugs were first introduced, there was none of the "Only made for rifled barrels or choke tubes" that you hear so much of today.  The ones I tried through my Benelli did about as well at 50 yards as most of the rifled slugs do.

They were even good for about 5" at 100 yards, though they were starting to tip at that range, leaving elongated holes in the target.

While not what I would choose for a smooth bore, they still perform reasonably well, at least in some guns.  As noted, not the most economical choice, but they will still work.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The big advantage I see with the sabots over rifled slugs is they are generally lighter, so much higher muzzle velocity.  Not really an advantage if you're only shooting out to 50 yards, but really helps out to 150 yards in a rifled barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top