Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 11:36:58 AM EDT
I am fairly new to shotguns and had a question. Recently purchased  Mossberg 500 Cruiser. I'm looking at purchasing a railed forend and a Streamlight TLR-1s to go on it.

My question is this: is this a good combo and does the TLR-1s hold up on a shotgun? Are there any benefit vs. cons for mounting it on the forend as opposed to, say, on the barrel or magazine?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It will hold up well. I have a 500 with the TRL-1s mounted on it with a Mako pump tube.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used the same setup for two years and had no issues, even after who knows how many slugs and 00 buck.  Just make sure the rails can deal with the recoil.

I have the ATI railed forend and it's held up fine.

pic incoming
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It will hold up well. I have a 500 with the TRL-1s mounted on it with a Mako pump tube.

<a href="http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/GSL-Ninja/media/P1010007_zpsdb4e74f9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a511/GSL-Ninja/P1010007_zpsdb4e74f9.jpg</a>

That's the exact model forend (Mako) I'm looking at purchasing. Kind of hesitant has I've seen in a few places that the Mako doesn't fit on the tubes of 500s made after 2006. How was it to install on yours?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a TLR-1s on my 870. They are good to go. I actually have one on ALL of my weapons...pistol, shotgun, and rifle. It works great on all weapons, solid little light and super bright at 300 lumens.

The advantage of having the light on the forend is that your hand is always near it to activate. If you have it setup right your hand will never have to move from its natural position on the forend and you can activate the light with a finger.

If the light is on the magazine (depends from setup to setup) your hand could be further away from it and when you rack the shotgun obviously your hand would be far away from the light then. I suppose it is all personnel preference really. You might not even call that an "advantage", I don't know. Those are the differences though.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was post 2006 and kinda funny, I was about to ask you the same thing on what year it was made.

The Mako fits and feels great, but I've replaced that with a Surefire rail and held onto the Mako as a spare. Had to order a pre 2006 7 3/4 action slide as the rail was made for pre 2006 models. Be sure to buy a 1" PVC pipe as a punch to knock out the action for the new furniture. The Mako works with post 2006 action slides.

You going to add a foregrip? Without one, man those rails on the bottom will be rough, especially on a cruiser model to boot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mine was post 2006 and kinda funny, I was about to ask you the same thing on what year it was made.

The Mako fits and feels great, but I've replaced that with a Surefire rail and held onto the Mako as a spare. Had to order a pre 2006 7 3/4 action slide as the rail was made for pre 2006 models. Be sure to buy a 1" PVC pipe as a punch to knock out the action for the new furniture. The Mako works with post 2006 action slides.

You going to add a foregrip? Without one, man those rails on the bottom will be rough, especially on a cruiser model to boot.

I just bought my 500 brand new last month.
So the Mako won't work for me?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will work great, just my opinion to put on a rail cover or a foregrip so your fingers don't become grated cheese during recoil.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will work great, just my opinion to put on a rail cover or a foregrip so your fingers don't become grated cheese during recoil.

Got it. Will definately get some rail covers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The Brown Truck of Happiness just dropped of my TLR-1s and Mako 3-railed forend. Will get going on installing tomorrow. Pictures shortly thereafter. Thanks erybody!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Done!

Installed the Mako 3-Railed forend, rail cover and TLR-1s. First time breaking the 500 down. VERY easy. Replacing the forend was not bad at all.
The TLR-1s is very bright and where I have it mounted allows for easy manipulation of the switch with my thumb.

Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top