Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 6:50:00 AM EDT
So I've got a nice matt finish, black synthetic stocked, (26"  vent rib barrel ) Remington 1100 thats been sitting in my cabnet for a good 5 or 6 years. I've been planning on finding a shorter barrel and making it into a fighting shotgun for quite a while and I think now might be the time.

Let me see what you guys have...stock combinations, rails , optics etc...Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I was at a shotgun class and watched an 1100 completely shit the bed. Poor gas system seals/issues. I personally would not consider any auto out there over any Benelli m1, m2, m4, even the m3 for a tactical gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was at a shotgun class and watched an 1100 completely shit the bed. Poor gas system seals/issues. I personally would not consider any auto out there over any Benelli m1, m2, m4, even the m3 for a tactical gun.

Wow, you saw one shotgun go to hell?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

wow, you are basing this on one example you personally witnessed.  BTW, what does "Sh!t the bed" entail?  Did the firearm need a daiper change?  The OP asked for some help and all you do is crap on his platform from your plethora of experience.

I am not saying that are not challenges to running an 1100 (like any other firearm) but dont just jump up start bashing if that is ALL you can offer, it is not like he "Hey what tactical shotgun should I buy".  The op wants to mod a fud gun he already has.  Gecko45 would be proud of you...

Op I have a 1100 Tactical that I have been shooting most of the year so far.  I habe no issues except in the beginning when I ran some very light loads.  Buckshot, slugs, and #6 over 1300 fps have been flawless.  I sent the barrel to Guncat and had it threaded for REMChoke tubes.  Pics when I get home.  Do a search, there is a lot of information about 1100s on here and on the net, especially concerning what you need to do to ports if you shorten the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, you are basing this on one example you personally witnessed.  BTW, what does "Sh!t the bed" entail?  Did the firearm need a daiper change?  The OP asked for some help and all you do is crap on his platform from your plethora of experience.

I am not saying that are not challenges to running an 1100 (like any other firearm) but dont just jump up start bashing if that is ALL you can offer, it is not like he "Hey what tactical shotgun should I buy".  The op wants to mod a fud gun he already has.  Gecko45 would be proud of you...

Op I have a 1100 Tactical that I have been shooting most of the year so far.  I habe no issues except in the beginning when I ran some very light loads.  Buckshot, slugs, and #6 over 1300 fps have been flawless.  I sent the barrel to Guncat and had it threaded for REMChoke tubes.  Pics when I get home.  Do a search, there is a lot of information about 1100s on here and on the net, especially concerning what you need to do to ports if you shorten the barrel.

Thanks for the insight...you're spot on with your post. I've got a basically brand new 1100 I've had for at least five years and have zero dollars invested in it ( because I won the gun). I kept it with the intent of it being a project "tacti-cool" shotgun anyway, nothing more. Thanks again and I'll be waitin for those pics too...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I am waiting on mine as it gets shipped tomorow.  Factory 1100.

I intend to cut barrel back, lengthen forcing cone, and thread for chokes at 20-22".
Cerakote in Patriot brown or OD
Speefeed 1 ATAC furniture
DMW Easyloader
S&JH or DMW Safety

I have not decided if I wanted an extension since the primary purpose is for hunting.  I have a Benelli M1 setup for HD.

MidwayUSA has 22" VR barrels if you decide you want 22" VR.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 21" rifle sighted 11-87P that I bought as a trade in. Speedfeed youth stock, Choate Op Handle, shortened DMW easy loader, Vang Safety and Follower, and a +3 extension. So far, it has been very reliable with everything except the cheap bulk loads from Wal Mart. Even those it shoots 95%.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, you saw one shotgun go to hell?

Funny howwe have pounded thousands of duck loads hunting in salt water through 1100s and never really had a problem.

Two 1100s 30+ years old. Oh ... change the rubber O ring once every 10 years or so
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Bam said the lady.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Very nice...can I get some specs on that 1100? Specifically the barrel, stocks(are those the ones available from ATI?) & side saddle/rail......thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I turned my wife's old 11-87 Trap gun (up-dated 1100) into a home defense gun as follows:

Had a gunsmith cut back the barrel to 18 3/4" (closest he could get to 18" due to vent rib design).

Installed white big dot front sight

Installed Choate pistol grip stock & forend

Installed TruGlo RDS with built-in Rem 870/1100/11-87 no-gunsmithing mount

Changed out old rubber ring for new, and added a magnum ACTIVATOR ring for reliability

Installed a +2 mag

Installed GG&G over-size operating handle (highly recommended)

Installed sling

NOTE:  Did not install screw-in choke since slugs and Federal Flyte-Control OOB work better without any choke.

It is 100% reliable  with all loads from weak target birdshot to reduced recoil OOB & Slugs to mags.  (NOTE:  With a short barrel 11-87 a special activator ring is mandatory for reliability with reduced recoil OOB loads).

Rem Sluggers = 4" groups at 50y.  Federal LE reduced recoil Flyte-Control OOB = all 9 pellets in 8" or less @ 25y and 3-7 pellets per shot in head & torso area of target @ 50y.

Reliability:  Zero malfunctions with all types of light, medium and heavy loads, even when firing 7 shots of reduced recoil OOB in 3 seconds.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yea, I watched an 1100 not last a shotgun class. How many of you with 1100s have run 600 rounds of buckshot and slugs in two days? I see threads like this where people write "100% reliable" and have put maybe 20 rounds of buckshot down any shotgun in their lives, it's non-nonsensical. Please do buy 1100s, it leaves the market of Benellis a little more open.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yea, I watched an 1100 not last a shotgun class. How many of you with 1100s have run 600 rounds of buckshot and slugs in two days? I see threads like this where people write "100% reliable" and have put maybe 20 rounds of buckshot down any shotgun in their lives, it's non-nonsensical. Please do buy 1100s, it leaves the market of Benellis a little more open.

Okay, you defended your opinion now can we discuss 1100s in peace? I really dont think the OP wanted to build a comp gun just something for HD. A clean 1100 with a good ring is as reliable as one can expect. I have seen Berettas and Benellis choke so what.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Very nice...can I get some specs on that 1100? Specifically the barrel, stocks(are those the ones available from ATI?) & side saddle/rail......thanks

Remington 1100 Tac-2.
XS Ghost Ring Sights
Mesa Side Saddle
Vang Comp +2 Extension
Vang Comp Big Head Safety
Dave's Metal Works Easyloader
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok! 1100 not what I would grab. To heavy, I like a pump!
But I do like shooting mine 1100 at all steel matches.
I put on:
Ghost Ring Sights
An easy loader
A sidesaddle
Over sized charging handle
Mag Extension
(Holds 10rds)
I changed to a none vented barrel   ( So sights would fit)
Stock came with it.

I guess it may not be as Tactical as some my like.
Never put 600 buck through it. But it runs really good.
But for some reason you have to clean them, or they don't!!

When you get yours built. Hope you have pictures for the hive!!!

Good Luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok! 1100 not what I would grab. To heavy, I like a pump!
But I do like shooting mine 1100 at all steel matches.

1100 too heavy?  Out of curiosity I weighed an 11-87 and an 870, both all tricked-out = the 11-87 auto was only 4oz heavier than the 870 pump.  Not enough difference to be concerned about.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, you defended your opinion now can we discuss 1100s in peace? I really dont think the OP wanted to build a comp gun just something for HD. A clean 1100 with a good ring is as reliable as one can expect. I have seen Berettas and Benellis choke so what.

1100's and 11-87's should be cleaned every 150 rounds or so to be certain of staying 100% reliable.  But having said that, my wife's 11-87 Trap went through +/- 600 trap loads without cleaning and had zero malfunctions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top