Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:44 PM EDT
You guys may remember my post with my terribly ugly 870. Well I reconfigured it to be a real fighting gun now, and much better looking than before. I got an 18.5" barrel with factory +2 extension on it now to be as short as legally possible and cut the extra weight off (Used to have a 20 in with +3). I got the Laser Products forend, a little weight in the front, but it does reduce muzzlee climb a tad and I really love the idea of a light on it. I put my original wingmaster stock back on her. My question is, where can I buy a stock plate for the butt? Instead of the recoil pad, to reduce LOP. And should I get a Mesa Sureshell side saddle? Does it add too much weight or is the weight justified with the extra round storage? A 4 shell or 6 shell? I heard they are really good but I also heard they can break and they are rather expensive. Any experience with these?

EDIT: I do want it to be a fighting gun, so I want practical accessories, but I also want her to look good too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you trying to get a fighting gun or one that looks good?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Good point. A fighting gun. Well, actually, I want it to serve both purposes. Anyway I am really looking into these Mesa Sureshells but the bad review that comes up every once in a while just makes me hold back. If it was $30 I would jump on it. I want to just bite the bullet but I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...since we are asked to be honest.

Wood buttstock with synthetic forend looks retarded...

On a fighting shotgun I'm not a fan of blued steel, much prefer matte or parkerized finish...but it's not a deal breaker for me...

Lose the wood....soon
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting opinion, I'll have to see what a synthetic stock looks like on it. I can get them cheap enough.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have run a tacstar side saddle on my 870 for near 10 years now and beaten the dogshit out of the gun. It still holds shells tight and has no issues.

I have a mesa on a 930spc and it's great, doesn't hold the shells as tight as the tacstar though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Houge reduce LOP stocks will give you about 12"-12.5" LOP with a recoil pad.

Or you could have your stock cut down and fit a universal limbsaver recoil pad onto it.  You could do with with patience and sand paper or have someone else do it.

I am recoil sensitive, so the pad helps my shoulder tremendously.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That is what I am thinking, I probably will want to keep the recoil pad for more comfort. I may just get the hogue stock when I have more funds. I don't mind the 14" LOP, but I can see it getting a bit tiring when holding it out for extended periods of time. Not sure how I would like the 12" LOP though, seems a tad too short but who knows. And the Tacstar side saddle, it's really that good? For the price I may just want to get that!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I say forget the sidesaddle.  They let stuff in between them and the receiver.  If you ever remove it you will see rust and finish blemishes etc.  My friend is an armorer for alarge State Police group he said the worst thing you can do for the finish of your gunis to install one of those.  I say buy a bandoleer or a butt cuff sleev from one of the go fast companies.

Get a synthetic stock its all wood or all plastic.

Realistically all the ammo you should need for an HD gun in a shot gun should be what hat gun will hold.  If you need more than 6-8 rounds of 12 gauge you are in the shit deep.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Never thought of getting a stock saddle! Very good idea, thanks! And I definitely can see how it would mar the finish, especially a blued finish. I guess that could save me a bit of money there, not worrying about a side saddle. I guess all synthetic would look good. I don't know, I kinda do like the mismatch wood and synthetic. Reminds me of the  AKs, with all mismatched parts, wood stock, bakelite grip, synthetic handguards, etc. Ah well, I guess that's why an 870 is not an AK :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally I say forget the sidesaddle.  They let stuff in between them and the receiver.  If you ever remove it you will see rust and finish blemishes etc.  My friend is an armorer for alarge State Police group he said the worst thing you can do for the finish of your gunis to install one of those.  I say buy a bandoleer or a butt cuff sleev from one of the go fast companies.

Get a synthetic stock its all wood or all plastic.

Realistically all the ammo you should need for an HD gun in a shot gun should be what hat gun will hold.  If you need more than 6-8 rounds of 12 gauge you are in the shit deep.

As currently set up his 870 holds 6+1 assuming he stores it fully loaded. its a six shooter if he stores it "cruiser ready."  if its loaded with buck then having a few slugs stored on the gun for grab and go use is a good idea. That said i wouldnt go with the Mesa side saddle. Not when he can get a 4-round tac star side saddle for around $25.00.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
$25 is the price I like to hear! At that price I could easily give it a go. But does it really mar up the finish that bad? Couldn't I just oil that spot up really well before I put the saddle on?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Dupe...apologies
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have run a tacstar side saddle on my 870 for near 10 years now and beaten the dogshit out of the gun. It still holds shells tight and has no issues.

I have a mesa on a 930spc and it's great, doesn't hold the shells as tight as the tacstar though.

Opposite results here.  My one TACSTAR was a piece of junk, shells would always go flying out.  Would not hold shells and the thread holes in the plate stripped out.  I have Mesa Tacticals on four shot guns and they all hold shells very well.  Mesa Tactical's customer support is AWESOME.  I have tried the shell cards also with mixed results, awesome concept, but sometimes my shells would go flying.

Good find on the vintage light foreend.  I would change the stock for a synthetic reduced LOP.  SpeedFeed has some budget ones that are pretty ideal.  Most importantly, how does it shoot for you and how reliable is it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been carrying shotguns for the better part of 9 years. In trunks, in shotgun racks, etc...and have used both TacStar and Mesa. I love the Mesa for its quality, but the Tacstar is more effective in holding shells. The Mesa can be fixed with some modifications, but for 60 bucks it shoudlnt have to be. The TacStar works just fine, and for 20 bucks, if it breaks, replace it. Myself, I still have the same TacStar I started out with nearly nine years ago on my 870.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]
That seems to be the consensus, getting a synthetic stock, which I definitely will! The gun shoots great, and is very comfortable. I do not mind the longer LOP but my ideal would be about 13". So maybe a synthetic stock without a recoil pad but a plate? Not sure because I doubt I will notice recoil when SHTF. So I will probably go with no pad. The light works perfect! It is very bright without being too bright. I had some lights that when shone at a white wall up close in the dark, they would blind you. Not pleasant on the eyes, but this vintage Surefire is awesome I love it. SO i am probably going to stick with the Mesa Sureshell. I just want to know if it really would rust my blued finish or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I run wood on my work gun, a 14" 870P, and it works fine. I had a walnut Police stock shortened to 12.5" LOP, and prefer it to synthetic. As for the light, I love the idea, hate the weight they incur, which tends to throw the balance off for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have been carrying shotguns for the better part of 9 years. In trunks, in shotgun racks, etc...and have used both TacStar and Mesa. I love the Mesa for its quality, but the Tacstar is more effective in holding shells. The Mesa can be fixed with some modifications, but for 60 bucks it shoudlnt have to be. The TacStar works just fine, and for 20 bucks, if it breaks, replace it. Myself, I still have the same TacStar I started out with nearly nine years ago on my 870.

Buy it from brownells and if it breaks they replace it, forever. Though I've never seen one break and that includes on a few hundred agency shotguns that are handled, loaded and unloaded daily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had several Tacstars and all of them eventually had the problem of threads on the aluminum plate stripping. To be fair TacStar replaced the plate when asked. I would gladly pay more money for a TacStar if they would use steel inserts like the Vang Comp DSAC. That would be my ideal side saddle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have had several Tacstars and all of them eventually had the problem of threads on the aluminum plate stripping.

I cant see how thats even possible.

Were you removing the side saddle for cleaning or something.
I'm not exagerrating when i say out of about 300 tacstars each with close to 10-years of use I havent seen even one instance of the problem you describe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have had several Tacstars and all of them eventually had the problem of threads on the aluminum plate stripping.

I cant see how thats even possible.

Were you removing the side saddle for cleaning or something.
I'm not exagerrating when i say out of about 300 tacstars each with close to 10-years of use I havent seen even one instance of the problem you describe.

Same here. Take that back, I did see a couple of the Mossberg sidesaddle strip, but thats just a shitty design for a shitty gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That Vang Comp DSAC looks very interesting!! They any good?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I run wood on my work gun, a 14" 870P, and it works fine. I had a walnut Police stock shortened to 12.5" LOP, and prefer it to synthetic. As for the light, I love the idea, hate the weight they incur, which tends to throw the balance off for me.

pic please
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#23]
OP wood most definitely does belong on a fighting shotgun, just not with a surefire forend. get matching wood up front then get a barrel/mag clamp light mount.

heres my 2 870 wingmasters. The one on the right is my newest find and I am getting police wood for it and leaving as is.  The one on my left is my baby, 870 winger with cut and threaded 18.5" vent rib barrel.  wilson +2 with vang follower.  The light is a SF 6PX mounted in this––>Lite Mount Technologies
This weapon is flawless and my go to gun, only thing I am changing is adding an XS big dot. That light mount hasn't budged in about 300 rds, never had issues with it moving period but it usually comes off every 150 in order to clean.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Looking good! I know I can get a synthetic factory stock for cheap, so I will, But should I also get a lighter wood stock to see how that looks? Maybe a lighter wood with no checkering or engraving on it would look better? I'm not sure, because I do like the idea of wood on it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
You could just strip the wood stock and paint it flat black or even dark grey. If you wanted to go all out fill the checkering with a filler before painting.

Cheaper than buying a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I love my Mesa Tac shell holder.  It allows me to have a full reload on the shotgun for a grab and go set up.  Yes, my shotgun is primarily for HD and sits in the safe for the majority of the time.  But if I ever have to grab it and run, it is ready to go.  I also have a Tacstar on my other 870, but I like the Mesa Tac better.  I find the Tacstar can loose it's hold when it is stored loaded in the AZ heat.  We are talking 180-200 degrees in the trunk during the summer.  For low usage as in a HD style gun with limited range time, the Tacstar holds up well enough in my expericence.  I just feel like spending a tad extra for something nice is worth it time to time.  Particularly on a gun I will hold onto for years.

As for the stock, if you want it shorter, cut it and rework it.  I bought a Wingmaster that came with the nice set of wood.  I sold it and worekd over a cheap Express stock I had sitting around.  I cut it down to 12" LOP and reworked the recoil pad with a bench grinder.   Then I stippled the grip area with a ball cutter on my Dremel.  It was free, other than my time.  It started as a practice stock to see how I would like the stippling (which I really do).  But it came out nice enough that I use it now.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I love that wood stock. I love the dark color. That's what I would want on mine if I didn't like the synthetic. I think it matches the surefire great. Well not matches, but looks awesome with it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
A work in progress but here's my latest.A Wingmaster I cut the vent rib barrel down to 18", Police wood I refinished and shortened,Limbsaver pad,factory +2 extension.Still to come are oversize Bradley gold bead,Nordic mag clamp,S&J Hardware follower and Mesa Tactical receiver mounted hook loop.Not a big fan of Sidesaddles.Had one on a 590.I always thought they were bulky,heavy and while I have not experienced it personally.There are many complaints of even the premium units loosing their retention over time.I'd just as soon carry spare shells on my person and keep the gun as sleek and fast as possible.Then again I'm not a big believer in the "fighting" shotgun.If I'm going to a gunfight I'm bringing a fucking rifle.The shotguns great strengths are brute power and versatility so,for me,I like shotguns set up to play to those strengths.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Not too bad.  I'd add a side saddle so you can run slug loads and buckshot.  My 870 is a wood/surefire combo like that and it doesn't bother me the least, it's accurate as hell and reliable.  That said the blued steel would have to go for me based solely on utility.  The shotgun is a utility weapon and blued finishes for me are too shiney and require too much care.  

You need a nice wide simple sling for carrying the weight and distributing it across the shoulder.    A sling mount/barrel clamp with the swivel on the side to avoid interfering with the tac light.  Some think you don't because you cradle the sling, but I'd rather keep it out of the way all the time not just under perfect circumstances.  

Not sure what mag follower you have but I like a hi visibility one, green or orange.  

All in all 8/10
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree completely I would rather have parkerized or something, but this blued wingmaster was given to me after my grandfather died, so I had no choice but to have a blued one. And thanks! I also think it doesn't look too bad with the surefire and wood combo. Still kind of want to see what it looks like with synthetic but that will come later. I have decided on the mesa 6 sureshell side saddle as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have experienced this as well, my Tacstar holds shells more securely than the two Mesa saddles I have.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I agree completely I would rather have parkerized or something, but this blued wingmaster was given to me after my grandfather died, so I had no choice but to have a blued one. And thanks! I also think it doesn't look too bad with the surefire and wood combo. Still kind of want to see what it looks like with synthetic but that will come later. I have decided on the mesa 6 sureshell side saddle as well.

That's cool you got his shotgun!  We have some wingmasters in service still from the early 80's with updated parts.  Some think the shotgun is outdated but I really think it's stil a valuable weapon system for certain things.  

As far as that finish you can always spray coat it.  Alumahyde 2 is good stuff and comes off with acetone.  Some of the others are more permanent.  All offer better protection than blued and wouldn't cost too much to do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#33]
That's definitely an option I am open to.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's definitely an option I am open to.

It would give it better protection for sure, especially since it has some sentimental value.

I love a good shotgun project.  Your thread is making me want to aquire another old one and get to work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I gotta say project 870s are a lot of fun! I am definitely going to be looking for more 870s at gun shows and garage sales now. Such amazing guns for an amazing price, and so easy and fun to customize. SO I went ahead and dumped some cash in the Mesa Sureshell 6 rounder. I am gonna coat the gun soon to protect it from wear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top