Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2012 12:25:26 PM EDT
So the finish on my Remington 870 Express was looking pretty gnarly so I went out and picked up some supplies and went to town.

I bought three cans of Krylon camouflage spray paint from Wal-Mart. I bought two cans of olive drab and one of black. (These were the only colors they had.)

I bought two of the green to be on the safe side, but I only ended up using two.

Before I began painting I took some medium strength steel wool and some dawn and scrubbed each metal piece to be painted. They were dried then masked off to keep paint out of the internals.

About 3-4 light coats of green were sprayed onto each piece at about 10-15 minute intervals, then they sat for an hour.

After the hour I masked the parts for the "tiger striping."  Sorry I didn't take pictures of that but I took strips of 1" thick 3m painters tape and ripped them in half to get jagged edges and wrapped the barrel and receiver making different patterns.

The places not to be painted black were all covered in tape and then 3 coats of black paint was sprayed.

Tape was removed and the finished product was carefully assembled about two hours later.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Paint looks good, but the paint and wood stock set dont flow at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Paint looks good, but the paint and wood stock set dont flow at all.

It would have flowed fine without the black stripes.  To each his own, but that looks something that would sit on a pawnshop rack for.....ever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
To be honest, I liked the green by itself as well. My friend really wanted me to stripe it so I went ahead and did it. Its only krylon so I can sand it down a little and spray over it again.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the look. Its different.

Good job OP.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good to me! Nice job. I actually kind of like the wood/tiger-stripe thing for some reason.
I was just telling a guy on here earlier about adventures with an 870 and Krylon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good, kind of like a redneck jungle camo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone! I was working with a limited wal-mart selection of colors for krylon as it was a spur of the moment thing.

Maybe it will get a different pattern in the future but it'll do for now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top