Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2002 12:01:59 PM EDT
Gents,

I just brought home my brand new 590 Milspec with Ghost Ring sights.  I have a few questions in regards to this shotgun and was wondering if you can provide me with some insight:

1.  Can I shoot slugs out of this thing?  If so what is the effective range?

2.  Has anyone ever shot skeet with one of these?  Will other skeet shooters snicker that I am using a tactical shotgun?

3.  What do you use for home defense?  00 buck?  Slugs?

4.  I like the full length stock with the pistol grip and speed feeder.  Which one is the best?  Where can I get em?

Thanks again

Max
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes on the slugs, about 100 yards +

Yes on the skeet - works just fine - pisses off all the professional over/under guys in their 50's...especially when you outshoot them

00 Buck for home defense, slugs, even 6 shot, at < 25 yards in the house, 00 is more than enough.  2 3/4 shells are fine

Regarding the stock, I'm not sure, mine came with a monte-carlo speed feed, I've since slapped a Butler Creek folding stock on it, works great!

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
1. YES, and I don't know about the range. Although I read about a tactical training course teaching the use of slugs out to 100 yds, FWIW.

2. No. Probably, but you will snicker more if you do better than them,

3. 00 buck

4. I like them too. I cant remember the brand name butSpeedfeed brand stocks are well liked, I know they sell them out of the Brownells catalog. I don't know if that would be the best price. One thing to think about in regards to a Mossberg and a pistol grip is that it may be hard to operate the safety with your hand on the pistol grip. Maybe not, I'm not sure, but that made me change my mind about getting one with a pistol grip.

Edited because I found out the brand name of the stock
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Max,

1. Yes, 50 to 100 yards each gun is differnt.

2. Yes, It will work fine at skeet, the shots under 20 yards. Trap, no the bird is sixteen yards away when you call pull, you will need full or modified choke. The rear sight might get in your way. Can it be removed? I started shooting skeet with a Rossi 12 gauge stagecoach model 20" barrels, exposed hammers. Fuck em if they can't can't take a joke.

3. I like heavy bird shot like #2 or #4's.

4. For wing shooting a straight stock is better but you did not buy this gun for uplandgame.  Enjoy, MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
My pattern is so tight, I'm afraid I would take the skeet houses out and both clays with one shot. LOL  Like a pump at skeet. Freaks everyone out.  Try a Moss Regal though a bit better pattern.

Took my hand grip off and went back to the speadloader.  Keep Winchester Mag 3" 14 pellet 00s in the tube and slugs in the loader.  Mounted a red dot on the top since the slugs did better than I would have expected from the lack of pattern on general load.

Love the gun and sure you will too.  Hope you never use it for self defence.  You might be disappointed. It will most likely scare the shit out of the bad guy just looking at it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
PS: Mines a 509 and really looks mean with the buck Milspec bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any answers to your questions, having just bought a Winchester Defender 1300 myself.  I would like to know what you all think of this article related to ammo selection.

It says that 1 Buck is the optimum round for 12 Gauge self-defence (less over-penetration, but plenty of stopping power)

Thought you might want to know

Steven L

www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Max
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Good morning
I have a mossberg 590, with MMC ghost ring sights and the Pistol grip stock. It was hard to reach the safety so i went back to the factory stock.
I'm very happy with the mossi. it's well made and the price is great. i have a sidesaddle for it and I'm looking for speed feed stock for it.
I like a  bird shot #2 or #4 or lighter if you live in an urban area. If the buckshot penetrates an APT. wall it would open up a new can of worms.
I use a mix of Slugs, # 00 buck & # 4 buck.
You need to go to the Range and pattern you Mossi. at all reasonable ranges.

Molebaby hotgun.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gents,

I just brought home my brand new 590 Milspec with Ghost Ring sights.  I have a few questions in regards to this shotgun and was wondering if you can provide me with some insight:

1.  Can I shoot slugs out of this thing?  If so what is the effective range?

2.  Has anyone ever shot skeet with one of these?  Will other skeet shooters snicker that I am using a tactical shotgun?

3.  What do you use for home defense?  00 buck?  Slugs?

4.  I like the full length stock with the pistol grip and speed feeder.  Which one is the best?  Where can I get em?

Thanks again

Max

#1 Heck yes!

#2 Yes,makes rednecks mad too

#3 No,try try up land or small game loads,@ 0-10 yards you can open somebody up with them big time.

#4 I don't don't like the pistol grip but you will have to try them out to see what you think.

You did the right thing getting a 590,I love my Mossy and have everybody from 0-100 yards out gunned.
But on the other hand I'm in Florida,lots of trees and cities,towns,ect if I lived out west I would not go with a shotgun.
Look around and see what gun will work best for you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and just caught up with this discussion.  I have a 590 that I have fired various types of shells through.  Using the Mossberg pistol grip, I found it very difficult to control the weapon, especially with 3" shells. Using Magnums, I couldn't even hold onto it with my left hand, it would jump out every time.  At a recent gun show, I picked up some Estate Catridge Inc. low-recoil SWAT shells that have about half the charge of a regular shell.  I picked up both OO and OOO buck to test out with my pistol grip.  These are intended for use by SWAT entry teams when the expected engagement ranges will be quite close - similar to the situation you'd be in if, God forbid, you had to defend your house.

I also ordered a Speedfeed IV Tactical Stock from Airzona Gun Runners (their prices were as much as $20 cheaper than other online dealers).  This is a solid stock with pistol grip.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it should provide much better control for high-powered loads.

Dave in Kentucky
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
in response to question number 2:
yes me and 2 of my buddies all bought 590's about 2 years ago. we regularly shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays. it took a little gettin used to but now we shoot fine. plus we got alot of snide (such as `wheres the riot boys?`) comments from the snots with 2 and 3000$ guns, who looked like they we`re gonna cry when we outshot them. on top of that we also hunt grouse and ducks (layout shooting) with them, not to mention small game.
now when we show up at the range all the `rich` guys just kinda quietly go away, the only down side is the `caddies` who work there try and hide when we show up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock, It's always the same story, it's the man behind the gun, not the gun.

I have a friend who is a very good shot at skeet. He owns several expensive over/under's but chooses to shoot with a old beat up Remington 1100, 12 gauge, heavy magnum reciever, 28" barrel with a cuts compensator mounted on the end. Throws the ballance off if you ask me but he is a 98-100 shooter at the Law Enforcement games each year! They say beware of the one gun man! MIKE
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
100 yards is no problem with a good rest.  It makes sense to shoot skeet with your combat shotgun for gunhandling practice.  While on patrol my 590 is loaded with all slug and 00 on the side saddle.  For the house I use birdshot in my 500.  Devestating at close range but will not kill the kiddies in the next room.  I was involved in a shooting with mine in 00'.   Excellent shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top