Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2011 12:23:42 PM EDT
Hello,

My step dad just picked up an older Remington wingmaster 870. The barrel is labeled 12ga for 2 3/4 or shorter. I loaded a 3" shell and it would chamber it just fine. Will it shoot 3" or should I stick with 2 3/4"? Also, why did the come with no screw in chokes?

Any way I can tell how old this gun is?

Thanks

EDIT: PICS!

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT fire 3" shells in a 2 3/4" gun.
A 3" will chamber because shot shells are measured AFTER they're fired.
Firing a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber can cause serious damage to the gun and you.

In addition, a 3" shell will not eject from a 2 3/4" gun.  The 2 3/4" gun has a shorter ejector that can't eject the longer 3" shell.

Check the serial number on the receiver.  If the number ends with a "M" the receiver is a 3" capable gun.  You could buy a 3" chambered barrel and shoot 3" shells safely.
If the receiver doesn't have a "M" serial number or a barrel marked for 3" shells DON'T fire 3" shells.

If you want, the gun can be converted to handle 3" shells by sending it in to Remington or to a custom shop like Wilson and they can install a longer 3" ejector and re-chamber the barrel to handle 3" shells.

The gun doesn't have screw in chokes because screw in chokes weren't invented back then.  Back in those days, the choke was made in the barrel and if you wanted a different choke you either bought a different barrel or installed an external adjustable choke on the barrel.

To get a date on when the gun was made, email Remington.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Firing a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber can cause serious damage to the gun and you.

In addition, a 3" shell will not eject from a 2 3/4" gun.  The 2 3/4" gun has a shorter ejector that can't eject the longer 3" shell.

Check the serial number on the receiver.  If the number ends with a "M" the receiver is a 3" capable gun.  You could buy a 3" chambered barrel and shoot 3" shells safely.
If the receiver doesn't have a "M" serial number or a barrel marked for 3" shells DON'T fire 3" shells.

If you want, the gun can be converted to handle 3" shells by sending it in to Remington or to a custom shop like Wilson and they can install a longer 3" ejector and re-chamber the barrel to handle 3" shells.

The gun doesn't have screw in chokes because screw in chokes weren't invented back then.  Back in those days, the choke was made in the barrel and if you wanted a different choke you either bought a different barrel or installed an external adjustable choke on the barrel.

Copy that. Thanks for the info. The SN ends in a V. I think I will clean it up and just use it for trap. Seems to be a decent little gun
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy that. Thanks for the info. The SN ends in a V. I think I will clean it up and just use it for trap. Seems to be a decent little gun

Another thanks dfaris. I just bought a police trade-in WM 870 and had the same questions as the OP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured out my wingmaster was made in 1955 using this info.
Sounds like your barrel has the same markings as mine.
This method is not perfect, but as long as it has the factory barrel, it's pretty good.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This method is not perfect, but as long as it has the factory barrel, it's pretty good.

I called Remington, gave the rep. my serial number, and he gave me the year of manufacture. I tried to use that thing, but nothing on it matched my markings.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did not see any serial numbers on the barrel, only on the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called Remington, gave the rep. my serial number, and he gave me the year of manufacture. I tried to use that thing, but nothing on it matched my markings.

I also called and since it was the weekends no one answered. I emailed Remington with my info, so hopefully someone emails me back next week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I went and shot it today. Shoots like a champ! I think its a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Little update from Remington...

Thank you for contacting Remington Country. Your Model 870 was produced in 1955

Pretty cool Wonder what its worth?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hello,

My step dad just picked up an older Remington wingmaster 870. The barrel is labeled 12ga for 2 3/4 or shorter. I loaded a 3" shell and it would chamber it just fine. Will it shoot 3" or should I stick with 2 3/4"? Also, why did the come with no screw in chokes?

Any way I can tell how old this gun is?

Thanks

As info, shotgun ammo length is measured with the crimp open, in the "fired" position.  That's why an unfired 3" magnum fits into a 2 3/4" chamber.

When you fire the longer shell in the shorter chamber, the shot column tries to squeeze through and causes pressures to rise dramatically.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Wilson Combat can 'refresh' it and open it up to 3" if you really want 3" capability.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't alter a 55 Wingmaster... Sell it and go buy what you want. Old Wingmaster's with fixed chokes are coveted.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't alter a 55 Wingmaster... Sell it and go buy what you want. Old Wingmaster's with fixed chokes are coveted.

I'll have to see what its worth. I really have no use for it other than a safe gun. I would like a tactical 870 to play with.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat can 'refresh' it and open it up to 3" if you really want 3" capability.

Keep in mind that Remington lost a class action lawsuit over metalurgy of some of their shotgun barrels.  I would never alter one.  

Buy a replacement barrel if you must.  They are out there, even Mossberg makes one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'll have to see what its worth.

Assuming age appropriate wear and no damage, probably $325-350.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to see what its worth.

Assuming age appropriate wear and no damage, probably $325-350.

Thats what I was guessing. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't you need a magnum ejector assembly and a magnum barrel to shoot magnum loads in an old 870?

IDK all my 870 receivers are 1980 or newer.

I don't really like magnum buck or slug loads for HD.  Those things hurt.  Especially the slugs.

ETA:  I know its an 870.... but I've loaded this page three times and there are no pics comming up.

Ill get pics up asap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Pics are up
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#20]
It's got the corn cob forend... No way I'd butcher that. It looks like a sweet bird gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's got the corn cob forend... No way I'd butcher that. It looks like a sweet bird gun.

Im guessing that is more sought after in this gun?

Like I said, its in good shape. It has been used but not abused. The wood could use some refinishing (which I am not going to do) and the bluing is wearing in spots. Overall its in good shape for its age.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that Remington lost a class action lawsuit over metalurgy of some of their shotgun barrels.  I would never alter one.  

Buy a replacement barrel if you must.  They are out there, even Mossberg makes one.

Settled, I wouldn't say class action though, no one knew about it until it was posted for people to collect. I collected about 120.00 for 4 or 5 shotguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top