Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 1:02:42 PM EDT
I do not know a whole lot about Remingtons.  I have been a Mossberg/Benelli guy up until now.  I am looking for what might be comparable to my Mossberg 590 with 20" barrel and 8+1 capacity.  Can anyone educate me on what Remington model 870 offers the same barrel length and capacity?  Also I heard that the 870Police versions have the dual extractor, finished internals, etc. and is basically the ones to get.  Anyone know of where I can get my hands on an 870police (possibly tradeins)?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any factory 870 with a +4 mag tube.  My police came with an 18" barrel and +2 tube.  Here it is with the barrel and tube replaced.

870P w/ a nordic +4 tube (8+1 total) and a remchoke 21" vent rib barrel (that last inch or so of barrel is an extended choke).  I'm a fan.  

I'll tell you, I had zero malfunctions with the stock 870P's 18" imp. cyl. barrel, but the new barrel will get stuck shotshells.  I need to polish the chamber or clean it or something. The new barrel is a remington country store thing and I don't think its up to the 870P's quality standards.  The stock gun ran great, and I don't regret the extra money spent on the P because I'll probably have it forever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the police version has an 18.5 inch barrel. My 870 express with the 20 inch has been great. I've also put a chunk of rounds through a police magnum. Didn't really notice a difference. As far as barrel length, its too small of a difference to matter. There are a handful of 870 police's on gunbroker.com, kinda pricey. If it were me, I'd save the money and just get the express.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know of any factory 870 with a +4 mag tube.  My police came with an 18" barrel and +2 tube.  Here it is with the barrel and tube replaced.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BZh2UabDdwg/ToTgITnO3xI/AAAAAAAAAJA/CBrumncseyM/s512/IMAGE_1000000228.JPG

870P w/ a nordic +4 tube (8+1 total) and a remchoke 21" vent rib barrel (that last inch or so of barrel is an extended choke).  I'm a fan.  

I'll tell you, I had zero malfunctions with the stock 870P's 18" imp. cyl. barrel, but the new barrel will get stuck shotshells.  I need to polish the chamber or clean it or something. The new barrel is a remington country store thing and I don't think its up to the 870P's quality standards.  The stock gun ran great, and I don't regret the extra money spent on the P because I'll probably have it forever.

My 870 came from the factory with the extension in the pic, but I think offhand that its a 3 round.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
thanx for the replies guys.  So can I get an 870 18.5" barrel with 8+1 capacity (via Nordic tube extension)?  Won't the tube stick out further than the barrel?

CCWinCa - I can't seem to find a factory 870 w/ smooth bore 20" (non-ribbed) barrel.  Did you get your barrel separately or did it come like that from the factory?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
thanx for the replies guys.  So can I get an 870 18.5" barrel with 8+1 capacity (via Nordic tube extension)?  Won't the tube stick out further than the barrel?

CCWinCa - I can't seem to find a factory 870 w/ smooth bore 20" (non-ribbed) barrel.  Did you get your barrel separately or did it come like that from the factory?

I bought mine at big5 in CA about 2 years ago. On sale for around 350 I think. The tube does stick out a little, but its no biggie. I believe they sell it as the "defender" but its just a basic 870 express with the extension installed at the factory. I did everything else to it after I bought it. I love knoxx stocks. I have a 5 position collapsible (in the pic), and an over-the-top folder from Knoxx.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do not know a whole lot about Remingtons.  I have been a Mossberg/Benelli guy up until now.  I am looking for what might be comparable to my Mossberg 590 with 20" barrel and 8+1 capacity.  Can anyone educate me on what Remington model 870 offers the same barrel length and capacity?  Also I heard that the 870Police versions have the dual extractor, finished internals, etc. and is basically the ones to get.  Anyone know of where I can get my hands on an 870police (possibly tradeins)?

TIA

There is no 870 with dual extractors. It doesn't matter because they are not really needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Remington make several 18" to 20" 870 shotguns, with or without the factory extension.

In the Express line they offer what used to be called the "Home Defense" gun.  These are 18" guns with or without the factory extension.  They also offer several "Tactical" models that have special finishes, and the Marine Magnum plated models.
These are all based on the Express line and any FFL can order one for your from standard Remington authorized distributors.

In the Police like they offer a number of options of 18" to 20" barrels, options on sights from bead to rifle to ghost ring, and options on stocks.
To buy a Police gun, just find a local dealer who will order one for your, and won't scalp you on the price.
Don't be surprised if a local FFL Dealer tells you that Remington won't sell a Police model to "civilians".
Either he doesn't know any better, or he doesn't want to go to the trouble of making a special order from a Remington authorized Law Enforcement distributor.
You can only buy civilian legal models of the Police guns.  No barrels less then 18".

Here's where you can see the Express 18 guns, the Tactical models, and the Marine Magnum:

http://www.remington.com/

Here's where you can see all the Police models.

http://www.remingtonle.com/

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The 20" 870P with three round extension is 7+1, the 20" 500 with full length mag is 7+1, and the 20" 590 with full length mag is 8+1. The disadvantage of the 870 is that the extension could cause mag feeding problems and the disadvantage of the 500 and 590 is that there are only 20" cyl barrels for them.
Dustin
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
thanx dfaris - so if I understand correctly, only the 18" barrels are available in the 870Express chassis? what is the highest capacity I can go with the 18" barrel?
I did check out the civilian Rem website and just could not find a 20" barrel option that was a smooth bore and without the vent ribs....
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 20" 870P with three round extension is 7+1, the 20" 500 with full length mag is 7+1, and the 20" 590 with full length mag is 8+1. The disadvantage of the 870 is that the extension could cause mag feeding problems and the disadvantage of the 500 and 590 is that there are only 20" cyl barrels for them.
Dustin

thank you pezboy for that succinct summary. Where can I order a 20" 870P?  I do not see that option on Rem's website?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dustin

thank you pezboy for that succinct summary. Where can I order a 20" 870P?  I do not see that option on Rem's website?

Google Remington LE and look for the standard 870P with wood stocks, 20" barrel w/ rifle sights and 3 round extension. Write down the model number and see if there are any on Gunbroker or if your local FFL can order one. There isn't one listed with synthetic stocks or bead sights but I'm sure you can get that combo by swapping parts.
Dustin
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dustin

Google Remington LE and look for the standard 870P with wood stocks, 20" barrel w/ rifle sights and 3 round extension. Write down the model number and see if there are any on Gunbroker or if your local FFL can order one. There isn't one listed with synthetic stocks or bead sights but I'm sure you can get that combo by swapping parts.
Dustin

Thank you Dustin!  Rem Order # 24888 is esaxctly what I am looking for!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
This is what a 20" rifle sighted barrel and +3 extension look like.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanx dfaris - so if I understand correctly, only the 18" barrels are available in the 870Express chassis? what is the highest capacity I can go with the 18" barrel?
I did check out the civilian Rem website and just could not find a 20" barrel option that was a smooth bore and without the vent ribs....

An 18" gun will accept a +2 extension.  A 20" will accept a +3 extension.  These will be even with the muzzle.

In the Express, Tactical, and Magnum Marine, 18" barrels are the longest offered.
Actually, most of these are now 18 1/2" barrels.
The Remington factory extension projected past the muzzle of 18" barrels by 3/4" because it was intended to act as a mounting point for a bayonet for military use.
Within the last few years Remington changed the 18" barrels to 18 1/2" on most guns so the extension is now even with the muzzle.
Remington does sell 20" police type barrels and you could sell the barrel that comes on the gun you buy and replace it with a 20".

For a standard 20" barrel you have to step up to the 870P Police models, They cost more and are a little harder to get, but it's the top of the line in 870 defense guns.
It's smoother inside and out, has a tough parkerized finish that's 60% more durable then bluing, and is built to a higher standard.
If you want a good gun that will last more than your lifetime, the Express based guns will do just fine.
If you want the best there is Cadillac version, the Police models are it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Not to state the obvious BUT: you could by a regular Express and have the barrel cut.  I just had this done because i wanted a ribbed barrel, I had mine cut to 21" and re-threaded for RemChokes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#16]
There is also the 870 Express Deer Gun.

It comes with a 20" Rifle Sight Barrel with a fixed Improved Cylinder choke.

It may have been discontinued, but I'm sure there are plenty still in stock. Only disadvantage is it will have the New-Style magazine system, so you will have to remove the dimples to add an extension.

Don't forget to look used. I got my Wingmaster with a vintage 20" Rifle-Sight Riot barrel & 28" barrel for a good price. You can always just buy a factory +3 extension.

ETA: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64_991/products_id/95565
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My old 870 Express had a cut down 21" barrel, and was fitted with a Nordic extension tube and 3/4" extended cap. This configuration allowed 8+1 capacity with 2-3/4" shells.

Additionally, one of my friends has an 870 with an 18.5" barrel, and I believe its capacity is 6+1 with the factory tube.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is what a 20" rifle sighted barrel and +3 extension look like.

Not to jack the thread here, but ServiceGun the wood on your gun looks AWESOME!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top