Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 11:29:34 AM EDT
Anyone try either the Monolit 28 or 32 steel slugs on anything solid?  Also, what is the difference between the Monolit 32 and the 32S (which I don't think is available in the US)?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't, but Ddupleks has this vid,

The best I can tell, the 32S is just a reduced recoil "tactical" version of the 32.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone try either the Monolit 28 or 32 steel slugs on anything solid?  Also, what is the difference between the Monolit 32 and the 32S (which I don't think is available in the US)?

The massive meplat makes it a poor penetrator of solid objects. It embeds in an oak-tree so that the base is flush. About 1.5"? of penetration. With steel and other things, only very thin steel is penetrable due to how diffuse the energy is over the surface.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
In that video the cast-iron block is easy to crack. The rocker cover is sheetmetal and the head looks like cast aluminum. Smoke and mirrors. I've shot plenty of motors years ago and a cheap 2 3/4" standard Remington slug does the same thing.

If you're looking for penetration of hard stuff, get a rifle not a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In that video the cast-iron block is easy to crack. The rocker cover is sheetmetal and the head looks like cast aluminum. Smoke and mirrors. I've shot plenty of motors years ago and a cheap 2 3/4" standard Remington slug does the same thing.

+1, at least regarding this ammo. Meplat is much too large for penetration in hard objects given the energy available to do the job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, at least regarding this ammo. Meplat is much too large for penetration in hard objects given the energy available to do the job.

I did find this, which is their testing at 50 m, which looks interesting.

steel plate testing pdf

I wasn't thinking that it would really penetrate much, just thinking it may do brute damage to stuff because of the meplat.  Their video of the engine at the end shows the engine with covers unbolted, with internals pretty much wrecked (timing chain gear, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I still don't see the point.

Cheap milsurp 7.62x54R steel-core at .20 cents a round would blow through every one of those plate tests and still be going strong.

Any good larger rifle caliber like good 'ol 30.06 would offer substantially more damage than those boutique slugs against a hard target.

Even lowly 5.56 75 grain loads (Like Hornady TAP or something) with standard jacket/lead construction blow through 1/4" mild steel at 200 yards like butter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top