Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2011 5:24:02 PM EDT
Thinking of getting one for my SBS project.

DO they actually work?

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for outcome.
I just bought an 870 Express Synthetic: 18 in BBL, Cyl Bore, with 2 shot extension Model 25077. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I have been contemplating whether or not to install some type of Recoil Reducing stock system. I plan on shooting it tomorrow with the original stock using both target loads and HD loads. The Target loads are Winchester AA #8 Light Target loads and my HD rounds are Fiocchi 2 3/4" 9 Pellet 00Buck Reduced Recoil #12LE00BK and Federal Premium Personal Defense(Flight Control Wad)  2 3/4" 9 pellet 00Buck Reduced Recoil # PD132 00. I will make up my mind after that. That being said I have been looking at both the Knoxx (Blackhawk) Comp Stock and the Enidine Hydraulic Buffer. I would like to see if the extra price of the Enidine System Is worth it because I have a 'bad back'. I don't want to go into detail here; as this post is probably the longest TAG in the history of ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tag for outcome.
I just bought an 870 Express Synthetic: 18 in BBL, Cyl Bore, with 2 shot extension Model 25077. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I have been contemplating whether or not to install some type of Recoil Reducing stock system. I plan on shooting it tomorrow with the original stock using both target loads and HD loads. The Target loads are Winchester AA #8 Light Target loads and my HD rounds are Fiocchi 2 3/4" 9 Pellet 00Buck Reduced Recoil #12LE00BK and Federal Premium Personal Defense(Flight Control Wad)  2 3/4" 9 pellet 00Buck Reduced Recoil # PD132 00. I will make up my mind after that. That being said I have been looking at both the Knoxx (Blackhawk) Comp Stock and the Enidine Hydraulic Buffer. I would like to see if the extra price of the Enidine System Is worth it because I have a 'bad back'. I don't want to go into detail here; as this post is probably the longest TAG in the history of ARFCOM.

I've yet to get to shoot a shotgun with the buffer tube, but I've seen videos and held it. Unlike the Knoxx, which redirects recoil into your cheek, the Mesa will push it straight into your shoulder, after absorbing what LOOKS like a decent amount. But have you ever shot reduced recoil buck? It's pretty similar in recoil to birdshot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for outcome.

I've yet to get to shoot a shotgun with the buffer tube, but I've seen videos and held it. Unlike the Knoxx, which redirects recoil into your cheek, the Mesa will push it straight into your shoulder, after absorbing what LOOKS like a decent amount. But have you ever shot reduced recoil buck? It's pretty similar in recoil to birdshot.

The only shotguns I have ever shot were my daddy's, now my, Winchester 1897 and Winchester Model 1911SL with 2 3/4" Full Power Target Loads, 000 Buckshot, Slugs, and Turkey loads. Of Course the Auto Loader kicked less than the pump. I do know that the old guns had no recoil pads.

ETA: Like I said I haven't shot my new 870 yet but plan to Sunday(today now). I will be shooting with the #8 target loads and Reduced Recoil Buck so I will be able to tell if I will need to use a recoil reducing stock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for outcome.

The only shotguns I have ever shot were my daddy's, now my, Winchester 1897 and Winchester Model 1911SL with 2 3/4" Full Power Target Loads, 000 Buckshot, Slugs, and Turkey loads. Of Course the Auto Loader kicked less than the pump. I do know that the old guns had no recoil pads.

ETA: Like I said I haven't shot my new 870 yet but plan to Sunday(today now). I will be shooting with the #8 target loads and Reduced Recoil Buck so I will be able to tell if I will need to use a recoil reducing stock.

Well hopefully the Reduced buck will do well for ya.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag for outcome.

Well hopefully the Reduced buck will do well for ya.

Thanks, I hope so too. I like the look and feel of the Remington Stock.

Unintentional Thread High Jack over OP. I hope you get some good responses for all interested parties.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Got to shoot the new 870 today. I shot some Winchester AA 2 3/4 #8 Target Loads, Fiocchi 2 3/4 00Buck Reduced Recoil #12LE00BK, and Federal Premium Personal Defense 2 3/4 Reduced Recoil 00Buck #PD132 00. The perceived recoil is almost exactly the same on all of these rounds. I don't foresee the need of any more recoil reduction. The Length of Pull may be just a bit longer than comfortable. I don't feel nearly as stretched out as with the Winchester 1897 and 1911SL.

Bump for the OP since no one has any experience with the Enidine Buffer Tube system, or has nothing good to say about them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is something on the Enidine.  Based on the source, I would buy it without question.

Weapon of the Week
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got to shoot the new 870 today. I shot some Winchester AA 2 3/4 #8 Target Loads, Fiocchi 2 3/4 00Buck Reduced Recoil #12LE00BK, and Federal Premium Personal Defense 2 3/4 Reduced Recoil 00Buck #PD132 00. The perceived recoil is almost exactly the same on all of these rounds. I don't foresee the need of any more recoil reduction. The Length of Pull may be just a bit longer than comfortable. I don't feel nearly as stretched out as with the Winchester 1897 and 1911SL.

Bump for the OP since no one has any experience with the Enidine Buffer Tube system, or has nothing good to say about them.

You might look into the supercell recoil pad for the loads you are shooting.  It will make a difference, but If you were going to be shooting full power loads, then I would invest in some type of recoil reducing stock.  Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is something on the Enidine.  Based on the source, I would buy it without question.

Weapon of the Week

Thanx for that link.  A good refernce, and I got a few ideas for my build.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been thinking about the enidine also for my 870. I am very skeptical because I hated the Knox stock and have since sold it several years ago. I do like the enidine since the recoil buffer moved straight back instead of backwards and upwards which the Knox does. I'm still skeptical since I'm not used to stocks that move in some way. I also prefer fixed non pistol grip stocks, but I'm willing to give collapsible stocks on a pump shotgun another try. All this is for a long term future build though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had the Enidine buffer tube on my Remy 870 14" SBS for a couple of years now. I do not have a limb saver pad but don't really need it with the Enidine. It works better then advertised. I can shoot full house slugs and 00 Buck all day long and not have a sore shoulder.

Not much to say...................it really works.

MadDog

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanx, MDD.

Nice boom stik.  I was having trouble deciding btwn the LEO and the high mount Mesa adapter. Yours looks really cool. I decided to go with simplicity (i.e. irons, and the LEO) for now, but may add a rail for a red dot eventually.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
garandman:

I don't believe you can add a rail to the "low mount" later on (I could be wrong). It sits much lower then the high mount and is not drilled and tapped for rails. Both are good mounts and I am sure you will be happy with whichever you choose.

MadDog
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
garandman:

I don't believe you can add a rail to the "low mount" later on (I could be wrong). It sits much lower then the high mount and is not drilled and tapped for rails. Both are good mounts and I am sure you will be happy with whichever you choose.

MadDog

Correct - the receiver would have to be drilled and tapped.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe there is a big difference in the overall shape of the low and high mounts.  The high mount not only has the stock tube sit about an inch higher but the top of the adapter is flush and square with the top of the 870 receiver.  The low mount is just that, very low in the stock section as well as having a downward sloping profile.  You would have to drill and tap the top of the 870 receiver and once you add a rail and optic the stock height would probably be way low.

JMHO (not necessarily fact),

MadDog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top