Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:27:46 PM EDT
So I have this rescued LeFever Nitro Special I've been working on, PO said it was having light primer strikes and firing both barrels when it shouldn't. Tore it down for a clean'n'lube. Quite the pain to put some of those springs back in, but it feels a lot smoother now. Put on a new bead too. Still need to test fire it. The barrels had been cut down to 18.5"(yes I checked) with a hacksaw, and wasn't cleaned up after. I've been working on trying to even up the muzzle face slowly with a file while trying to keep as much metal as possible, so far just taken down a few high spots. When I finish up that part, there is a gap between the barrels. I'm wondering what the best way to plug that hole is. I've never handled a double barrel shotgun before, so I don't have much to go on, I would imagine that there is usually some sort of filler material soldered in there on a normally finished gun. What would the preferred method be? What's going to be the easiest and cheapest way to finish up a $100 shotgun?
Pic of muzzle:

Pic of annoying top lever spring(with the threaded peg behind it) and dremeled Harbor Freight clamp to reinstall it:

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire....fix it with fire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Any cut off SxS is going to have the opening visible, doesn't hurt anything to be there.

You can fill it in with JB Weld, Accu-Glas bedding compound with its black dye, or file down a  piece of metal to a close fit and JB it into place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the Acraglas gel with the black die to fill mine.  Make sure you use a combination square when truing up the barrels.  It takes a few hours with a file, but the results are worth your time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top