Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 7:54:31 PM EDT
I have an 870 and I was wondering about barrel porting.  There is a local gunsmith that will do it fairly inexpensively.  How effective is it in reducing recoil?  Are there downsides to porting a barrel?  My barrel is 18".
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a ported Mossberg and I don't think the porting is very effective at all with 3" magnums. I put a Blackhawk stock on it and that really helped, but then the safety isn't in the best position as its on the top of the action. With a trigger guard mounted safety like the 870 has I'd be much better off. I didn't think of that at the time but I'll live with poor safety position rather than brutal recoil.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a vang comped barrel.  I dont think the comped part did much but make it looke purdy, I got a good deal on it new.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always heard it this way:

Benefits of porting work by way of pressure. The higher pressure you're working with, the more pressure the porting has to use (without getting into all the details of porting in and of itself).

That being the case, shotguns run at a relatively low pressure (we're not talking comped nine major here). To be fair, I don't own a comped/ported shotgun (yet), but wonder if we're getting into that point on the curve they call diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 590A1 that came ported from the factory. Porting is useless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top