Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2002 3:45:26 PM EDT
1 Do you use solvent to clean the chamber of plastic residue or use a dry brush?

2 If you use solvent, do you use hoppes 9 or CLP?

3 Cleaning the mag tube and rings, do you use solvent, dry rag, or CLP?

4 Do you clean the rings with steel wool, hoppes 9 and steel wool or CLP and steel wool?

5. Do you clean inside the barrel cylinder where the rings go. Again dry, #9 or CLP?

Thanks in advance
M4-AK
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
here's what i do....
1)bust it down into the basic pieces-barrel, forend, rings (set down in the order and orientation they were taken off) and receiver.  
2)swab the barrel with a copper brush covered with a rag covered with hoppes or something similar til the rags come out clean.  Put a very light amount of CLP on another rag and pass it through the inside.
3.Wipe off the rings with CLP or if they are really grungy or got really wet, i like to Hoppes them first.  Don't get the rubber o-ring soaked.  
4.wipe off everything else with CLP.  Unless you dropped it in the lake or something (duck hunting?  yeah, it happens)  then don't even worry about the magazine except maybe once a year.  
YOU DON'T EVER WANT A LOT OF OIL ON YOUR SHOTGUN!  or when it is 0degrees out, it will turn into a single shot autoloader....
Edited to add:  steel wool on a shotgun??? *shudders*  just use a flannel rag or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, steel wool is described in the owners manual for the rings, and I've read of steel wool for the chamber and cylinder area of the barrel.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
i've never seen it bad enough to require steel wool....maybe if its really new and there are a couple of rough edges yet but if it is cleaned after every use then there really shouldn't be any call for steel wool.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
M4, I shoot skeet with my 1100's all the time.

#1- Take off barrel, wet inside of barrel with #9 on a patch, leave wet and place on the side.

#2- Using tooth brush clean gas ring, mag tube, inside of reciever and gas cylinder with #9. NOTE# If gas cylinder or gas ring is caked with crud you can soak in #9 and use steel wool or dremel tool with steel wool to clean. Gas cylinder must be clean for gas ring to seal properly. Wipe off O-Ring.

#3- Wet inside of barrel with #9 again and brush with shotgun brush. Before wiping out the barrel I clean out the gas ports (located inside the gas cylinder) with a pipe cleaner and #9. I then take paper towels and push as much as I can into the reciever end of the barrel and tear of extra. Then push paper thru barrel with a rod. Barrel comes out super clean.

#4- If you have screw in chokes take out chokes and soak in #9. While they are soaking push more paper into the barrel to clean the choke threads. Brush inside of choke tube with a tooth brush. If lead is caked on the lip of the choke the choke can be soaked in a old #9 bottle for several days to remove lead. NOTE# Do not put shotgun away without a choke tube installed. If you forget to replace choke and fire gun the threads will be dammaged.

#5- If you shoot often gun can be put away dry. If it is to be stored oil lightly.

If you are shooting several hundred rounds in one sesion I recommend a can of crud buster and WD-40 for field cleaning in am emergency. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top