Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 2:56:16 PM EDT
I am curious if any of you shoot multiple type of shotgun actions for different purposes?

I have 18" and 28" 870s.  The short barrels are for home defense.  I have hunted and shot clays with the 28" barreled 870s.  But, for skeet and hunting, I was thinking of going to a semiauto.  I just shoot them better at flying objects.  

Do you mix up your action types or just stick to one platform for everything?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a huge proponent of putting together purpose built shotguns.  I have a couple of Remington 870's and 11-87's set up to do their job very well.  I like shooting Semi Autos for hunting cuase of the reduced recoil and ability to get more shots off on fast moving birds.  I also appreciate the pump action for their durability and dependability (home defense or back up to using a semi auto in extremely dirty conditions).  While not everyone wants to get into multiple shotguns I say try a semi auto for hunting you'll never go back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been know to shoot a Semi or Pump for hunting with heavy loads (ducks, geese, turkey), a Semi or O/U for small games birds, a Semi or  O/U for clay targets, and (generally) a Semi for 3 gun competition  (but I have used a pump once or twice there too).

I like'em all
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt with a Remington 11-87, and have a Mossberg 500 for home defense, the 11-87 will probably become a home defense gun someday, but I need short barrel for it, a side saddle,  and fork out another $350 for a surefire fore end first. I have had the Mossberg for over 5 years now, and when I bought it put the side saddle, surefire fore end light on it, and a speedfeed stock. I also have a O/U for trap, and field birds, I also have numerous other shotguns I either use for hunting or fun. I have more different shotguns than handguns. Shotguns are just so useful, I also have a 20ga pump that I got when I first started hunting, it has now become a small game bird gun, like grouse and dove. And I have a .410 I use for hunting small game like rabbits and other small game.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a Winchester SX2, and Remy 870 express for just this reason.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't like to switch back and forth, more than once at the range I've tried to pump my 11-87 or had to tell myself to pump my 870. The guns are just so similar muscle memory needs to be over rode when switching back and forth. Oddly enough I have never had this happen when switching between other pumps and semi's. If you hunt and shoot semi's you should use the same style gun for home defense, the reliability of a pump does you no good if you forget to pump it for a split second and that little bit may be all your opponent needs. No matter how good you think you are at switching back and forth you will fall back on your training even if that training is hunting or target shooting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I use pumps almost exclusively, though I sometimes use a SxS. Generally 870 wingmasters, but I'm developing a taste for the light weight and quicker handling of Ithaca 37 Featherweights.

Stick to a single type and master it, as opposed to running numerous types "well".
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta al2 for field, mossberg maverick for defense.  Or at least that is how it was until i got my AR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am curious if any of you shoot multiple type of shotgun actions for different purposes?

I have 18" and 28" 870s.  The short barrels are for home defense.  I have hunted and shot clays with the 28" barreled 870s.  But, for skeet and hunting, I was thinking of going to a semiauto.  I just shoot them better at flying objects.  

Do you mix up your action types or just stick to one platform for everything?

Yes!
My pump is my go to gun. Hunting, 3 gun match as well as HD.
I also have a1100 I use it for 3gun match, Try to break bird with it.
I do not hunt with it! Way to heavy!!!
If it was handy I would use it for HD.

PITA45

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take any excuse to buy guns.

- Kreighoff O/U for sporting clays/skeet
- Kreighoff un-single for trap
- Beretta 391 for international skeet and bird hunting
- FN SLP for HD and 3-gun

And a slew of others I don't need, but bought anyways
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My bed gun is a Remington 870 Police... my hunting shotguns are both 11-87s (one smoothbore, one slug gun).

If I found a 11-87 Police when I was looking for my bed gun, I am unsure if I would have gone with it. I like leaving the hammer down on an empty chamber, and pulling it up with the ability to cycle it without releasing anything. The 11-87 would be a little different to deal with.

I am considering that KelTec shotgun to replace the 870... but will have to wait until there is some feedback.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel for HD (Loaded with 00 Buck). Remington Model 11, 28" barrel for bustin' clays.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top