Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 4:40:51 AM EDT
Put around 300 round through my 870 supermag this weekend and during this shooting session the shotgun kept jamming when I try to eject the first spent shell. When I looked at the action I could see just a sliver of the back of the shell. And I would have to try to slam my pump forward then try to rack the shotgun until It would allow the action back to eject the shell, this kept occurring all day. Could it be ammo? I was using 2 3/4 winchester universal sport loads (20.97 at wally world for 100) I've always used the remington 2 3/4 sport loads (same price as the winchester) and I have never had an issue. This shotgun has never jammed up until this point. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ETA: I apologize in advance for grammatical errors, I'm posting from my crackberry

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Put around 300 round through my 870 supermag this weekend and during this shooting session the shotgun kept jamming when I try to eject the first spent shell. When I looked at the action I could see just a sliver of the back of the shell. And I would have to try to slam my pump forward then try to rack the shotgun until It would allow the action back to eject the shell, this kept occurring all day. Could it be ammo? I was using 2 3/4 winchester universal sport loads (20.97 at wally world for 100) I've always used the remington 2 3/4 sport loads (same price as the winchester) and I have never had an issue. This shotgun has never jammed up until this point. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ETA: I apologize in advance for grammatical errors, I'm posting from my crackberry

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Get a chamber brush and clean the chamber of invisible plastic leftbehind.  Otherwise, no clue.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Try different ammo, that Winchester Universal stuff has been known to jam up a single shot.

Steel case heads that expand and don’t contract or cock sideways on the extractor, soft plastic that grabs the chamber wall… its been the cause of a lot of headaches the past few years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the forend nut is nice and tight.  Mine on my 870 works loose and the action rails start destroying the forend instead of working the action.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
It is the ammo.  There have been about 1,000 threads on this mess and Winchester just keeps selling it.  It happens even in single shots, doubles, other pumps and the best solution is not to use this junk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I was running my 870P that was made by JD of AIP on Saturday the 11th with some Winchester value ammo given to me by someone at the range. Nearly every shell had sticky extraction. I even had one that caused a double feed when the rim of the shell skipped over the extractor. The Winchester crap also had a failure to eject which then caused a double feed in my Ithaca 37. Clearing a jam in an Ithaca 37 is a lot more difficult than a side eject.

Bottom line, the Winchester ammo across the board is crap. We had one member on this forum that got a squib load in his Glock 21SF during training, which actually resulted in a KB. At least people are catching on that this ammo is crap; next time you go to Walmart look how many Winchester boxes are around compared to barren shelves for Remington or Federal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to try it again sometime, but I believe I've also had this issue with the super cheap Wal-Mart Federal ammo as well.  I've got a 100 box of Remington at home, so I'll have to try that next time to see if it's the gun or the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'll have to try it again sometime, but I believe I've also had this issue with the super cheap Wal-Mart Federal ammo as well.  I've got a 100 box of Remington at home, so I'll have to try that next time to see if it's the gun or the ammo.

I've never had a problem with the Federal. The Remington is good ammo too. I did once have a double feed and a stovepipe in my Benelli M4 when I used the Federal.

I was at my Walmart last night and all of the Federal was sold out. Only about 1-2 boxes of Remington was left. They did have Winchester; enough to stack it to the ceiling.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had a problem with the Federal. The Remington is good ammo too. I did once have a double feed and a stovepipe in my Benelli M4 when I used the Federal.

I was at my Walmart last night and all of the Federal was sold out. Only about 1-2 boxes of Remington was left. They did have Winchester; enough to stack it to the ceiling.

Sounds like the word is getting out about the Winchester Universal...

I've shot quite a bit of the Federal 100 round boxes (both 12 and 20) with no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top