Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:12 AM EDT
I just aquired. a 38 year old 1100 Magnum and thought I would take the bolt and action bars out to see how dirty it was. I have never done that to my other 1100 before either. I was impressed by how rugged everything is inside and how simple and efficient it all is.  Very few parts in an 1100. Much simpler than an AR-15.

Why all the hate for 1100's?  I suspect most of the haters, have never taken one apart.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They like to be clean and lightly lubed - they typically will not run 100% when dirty and dry. Also, there are a few fragile parts that can break and cause mayhem - the forend support springs readily to mind. This said, I love my 11-87s and have been running the same one in 3-gun competitions for 15 years... no Spaghetti Guns for me .
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...it's almost like they asked the design team to take an 870 and make it a gas operated auto.  Just watch those edges in the receiver.  I was shocked at how sharp they were.  Went through a cleaning rag like a razor.  The trigger group is a bit complex, though.

It's pretty cool to see a 1963 design still going strong when everyone else is coming out with something new or improved every few years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah...it's almost like they asked the design team to take an 870 and make it a gas operated auto.  Just watch those edges in the receiver.  I was shocked at how sharp they were.  Went through a cleaning rag like a razor

Now THAT is the truth!  I was cleaning up an old 1100 for my sister and cut the HELL out of the end of my finger on the inside of the receiver.  Now I know...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah...it's almost like they asked the design team to take an 870 and make it a gas operated auto.  Just watch those edges in the receiver.  I was shocked at how sharp they were.  Went through a cleaning rag like a razor

Now THAT is the truth!  I was cleaning up an old 1100 for my sister and cut the HELL out of the end of my finger on the inside of the receiver.  Now I know...

I almost needed stitched the first time I cleaned an 1100. It was ridiculous!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny you all say that about the sharp edges. I cut the snot out of my finger cleaning my girlfriend's 870.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the semi-autos get some sharp edges.  Reaching in there is uncalled for guys.  Go to any auto parts store and get a can of "Cyclo, Parts and Break Cleaner"  It is under pressure and use it to blast out the receiver.  It evaporates away but if you have an air compressor finish it off with that to speed it up.   Yes, same stuff as "Gun Blast" but 1/2  the cost and the can is twice as big.   No more cut fingers.  I also use it to blast out the trigger plate assembly, bolt assembly and any where gunk can build up on a weapon.  Good stuff.  I use a case or so a month in my shop.  Oh, don't get this stuff in your eyes as I can tell you it stings like hell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost needed stitched the first time I cleaned an 1100. It was ridiculous!

me too.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top