Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:15 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting a general hunting auto loader 3 1/2" 12ga. I was going to go with a 1187 since I know they are nice guns. I have been told that the gas pistons/rings need to be changed to shoot the different shells, like 2 3/4" and 3 1/2". That is what has turned me onto the 391. Anyone have both that can give some insight?

Also, how come when I'm looking on GB that I see 3 1/2" 391s at $650 and some at $1200? They seem to be the same gun??

thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The 11-87 is not supposed to require any changes to shoot various ammo types, it's the improvement over the 1100 in that regard.  It's pretty good too in my limited experience, I've only had my 11-87 for about 6 months but it's been OK about ammo types.  It's a little sensitive to being clean and over-oiled. it's a little bit fragile and it's a slow action, but it works pretty well.

I've had my 391 for several years and my wife has had her first one (she now has 2) for nearly 10 years.  The 391 is the gold standard in reliability ime.  You don't need to adjust or change anything and it will just plain run.  Dirty, clean, neglected, pampered, it won't care.  

The 3 1/2" Beretta is actually the Benelli, not the same action as the 391 3" action.  The 3 1/2" has the rotating bolt head like the Benelli.

If yopu need the 3 1/2" I'd think the 11-87 is somewhat comperable to the 3 1/2" Berreta (Benneli), assuming you pay a lot less for it.  I wouldn't pay $1200 for the 11-87, but a $500 11-87 is just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I thought that sounded funny about changing the pistons. Even though I'm a big Remy fan and own a few, might drop the cash on a 391 this time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Neither of these shotguns will chamber a 3.5" shell.  The Beretta unico will and the new Remington versa max will. As to which is better a 391 or a 1187, its not even a close contest. Hands down the 391. Anyone that would suggest otherwise doesn't know their ass from their elbow. The walmart Beretta 390 (which is darn near the same as a 391) is the best value priced shotgun on the planet. If your lucky enough to find one, expect to pay around 500 bucks. I can't speak for the the quality or reliability of the Versa max, i have never seen or shot one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Neither of these shotguns will chamber a 3.5" shell.

maybe I missed something but I thought we were talking about the 11-87 supermag which WILL chamber 3.5"
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neither of these shotguns will chamber a 3.5" shell.  The Beretta unico will and the new Remington versa max will. As to which is better a 391 or a 1187, its not even a close contest. Hands down the 391. Anyone that would suggest otherwise doesn't know their ass from their elbow. The walmart Beretta 390 (which is darn near the same as a 391) is the best value priced shotgun on the planet. If your lucky enough to find one, expect to pay around 500 bucks. I can't speak for the the quality or reliability of the Versa max, i have never seen or shot one.

Yes they do.....if you get the 3 1/2" version of them.  The 391 is not a 3 1/2" unless you get the rebranded Benelli with rotating bolt head in 3 1/2", but the 391 has such a good name and reputation that they stuck it's name on it.  

But yes, the 391 is my favorite shotgun on the market, simple and fantastic.

Too bad I've got to sell all three of mine.  And the 11-87.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top