Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 9:31:14 AM EDT
Yesterday I took my Benelli M4 to the range to try some distance shooting using slugs.  This Benelli has a 14 inch barrel and iron sights, so I didn't expect to be able to hit much, but I ended up being pleasantly suprised.  I also don't have much experience using iron sights because all my AR's have dot sights or scopes.  To make maters worse, there was a gusty 20 MPH wind at the range.  First I rapid fired 12 - 3" magnium slugs at 50 yards - without trying very hard to aim - which gave me a mild headache and resulted in plenty of hits - (2 liter water bottles).

I was also able to consistantly shoot (2 liter) water bottles at 100 yards with reduced recoil slugs and factory irons while standing.  

Lastly, I tried to shoot some 24" X 18" steel plates at 200 yards using irons.  At this point all I had left were (3) 3" magnum slugs.  Dispite the wind and the fact that I was flinching quite a bit, I hit the steel plates 2 out of 3 times.  I think luck was a big part of me hitting the targets because of how bad I was flinching and how small the targets appeared in my iron sights.  This caused the 1/4" steel plates to be dented maybe about 1/8"

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.  Maybe we went all about the 200 yard slug shooting thread all wrong - but then again, 2/3 is pretty good but it's not carbine repeatability.

How much was your holdover at 200 yards?  And do we have any pics of this beautiful rig?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I figured some would like to see the steel plates and the M4.  I'm heading up to the range again today to sight in a Burris XTR-14, so if no one moved the plates, I can get some photos of the damage done by 1.1\4 ounce slugs at 200 yards.  I'm not sure if I've read the 200 yard thread... I'll have to check.  May have been the subconsious inspiration to try some distance shooting with my shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My department issues the M4. Is it me, or they seem to kick more than other semi-autos? The furthest that we shoot is 50yds, but it might be fun to try it out to 200.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to give it to you boss - if you're only running 3" slugs, you're a glutton for punishment

Wish I had the time/ability to do what you are (no SBS state )
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have to give it to you boss - if you're only running 3" slugs, you're a glutton for punishment

Wish I had the time/ability to do what you are (no SBS state )

Yep, after (12) 3" slugs, I had to put the M4 down for a while and shoot the glock instead.  It really jared my head and caused massive flinching.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I took the range finder with me today and it turns out that the berm that I thought was at 200 yards is actually only 170.  I'm still happy with my shooting though.

Why can't I figure out how to post images?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Click on the little "mountain with sunset" to insert the picture link.  I can't get your pic to come up; are you using the correct code underneath the picture for hotlinking and not just the web addressat the top of the page?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I was able to hit a target at 100 yards with Rem. 2 3/4 High Velocity Slugs.  I'm sure if I practiced more I could get a better percentage of hits.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
double
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My department issues the M4. Is it me, or they seem to kick more than other semi-autos? The furthest that we shoot is 50yds, but it might be fun to try it out to 200.

No, I have a Winchester 1500 in 20ga that I think kicks harder than my M4 with comparable loads.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top