Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2009 5:38:57 AM EDT
I see quite a few posts on other forums that full pistol grip stocks have no advantage over traditional stocks on a fighting shotgun.
I beg to differ.
For me it's,
a more stable platform
more natural position for my wrist
aids in maneuverability
distributes recoil into my hand and shoulder
better one handed control
reduces silhouette
and I just shoot way better with one

Is it adherence to tradition, or just frowning on the tactical cool aspect?
Your thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
a more stable platform - True
more natural position for my wrist - Especially with a shortened stock!
aids in maneuverability - Mas or menos. With two hands, it doesn't matter. With one hand, very much so.
distributes recoil into my hand and shoulder - If you hold it right. If you grip a pistol gripped shotgun like you would a pistol, it hurts.
better one handed control - true
reduces silhouette -
and I just shoot way better with one -

The problem with most pistol gripped stocks is that they're so darn long!

A shortened stock has less perceived recoil, better recoil control, easier manipulation of controls, better maneuverability. and a shorten OAL.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the Knoxx, recoil reduction, with powerpack on my Remington 870, i really enjoyed the pistol grip part or it, But in order to get the sight picture/bear w.e i found that it would hit my cheek, and after awhile i would actually get a black and blue,

In conclusion, i also like the Pistol grip stocks, but dislike the one i have,

I not have the Stock, Stock,(lol) on my 870, and am trying to sell knoxx one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX, and like the 500s, the safety location makes pistol grips...stupid.

Plus I feel it make it easier to grab the shotgun with a traditional grip.

I have a friend with a pistol grip 500 and I fire and maneuver mine just as well as I do with his.

And, even though this one doesn't really count, IMO shotguns(especially tactical ones) look better with traditional.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't read on here that pistol grip full stocks are not as good as standard full stocks.

With that said, I like standard full stocks and pistol grip full stocks. I think that brands are more effective with standard stocks, with pistol grip stocks, or both.

I believe that a Mossberg with a pistol grip full stock is a bad choice because of the safety location and where the slide release is located (slide release is blocked by the stock thus getting rid of easy access). I like Mossbergs with a standard full stock.

870s on the other hand have an advantage over Mossbergs with pistol grip stocks. You can get to the safety easily and can get to the slide release easy.

This is just my personal preference and I am sure others will disagree with me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't care for pistol grips on shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't read on here that pistol grip full stocks are not as good as standard full stocks.

With that said, I like standard full stocks and pistol grip full stocks. I think that brands are more effective with standard stocks, with pistol grip stocks, or both.

I believe that a Mossberg with a pistol grip full stock is a bad choice because of the safety location and where the slide release is located (slide release is blocked by the stock thus getting rid of easy access). I like Mossbergs with a standard full stock.

870s on the other hand have an advantage over Mossbergs with pistol grip stocks. You can get to the safety easily and can get to the slide release easy.

This is just my personal preference and I am sure others will disagree with me.

I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical and have gotten used to the slide release and safety location, and definitely prefer the pistol grip w/ collapsible stock to a standard stock.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like pistol grip ONLY stocks and I don't like them on Mossbergs.  I prefer them over conventional though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have also not found that to be the case as most guys prefer them.  All mine have a stock that has a pistol grip either m SF IV-S, SpecOps or Mesa LEO.  One big advantage of this stock is in weapon retension.  It is harder for someone to take a long gun from you when it has a pistol grip stock as you have a better hold on it then a conventional stock.  And I like the control they give me when shooting.  About 85% of the Custom Tacticals I build leave here with one of the stocks I mentioned on it and that comes from a very diverse client from LEO's, Home Owners, Recreational shooters and even Competion shooters.  So based on my sales I say the the Pistol grip type stocks are vastly more popular.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like them because it feels more like an AR or an AK or a FAL or whatever... That said, I have both...
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a Choate pistol grip buttstock on my 870 but I replaced it with a conventional stock.  The way I was trained to carry a shotgun was in the African carry and a pistol grip stock just doesn't work well with trying to get it into action quickly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't like pistol grip ONLY stocks and I don't like them on Mossbergs.  I prefer them over conventional though.

+1. However this is an area where Mavericks have an advantage over their Mossberg counterparts...their safety can still be used normally even with pistol grip stocks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my Knoxx stock. Feels much better in my hands w/the pistol grip on there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had both the collapsible and fold over type pistol grips on my Mossbergs, but do to the safety location I have gone back to a traditional stock, and I actually prefer over the pistol grips, not just for the safety, but maneuverability, stability and comfort as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I kind of like having the ergonomics of my shotgun identical to that of my AK
http://www.hammerstrike.com/arms/S12Drum800.jpg

Seriously though, for home defense I have a Mossberg 500 with Knoxx recoil absorbing stock/pistol setup.  The wife appreciates the recoil reduction.  The safety is in a lousy place, but the thing spends most of it's time in the cabinet with no round chambered and the safety off anyway.   The intent is that if it is ever needed it's draw/rack/engage, and that's how we train.

I prefer having the pistol grip, and on the Saiga the ability to mount the fore grip for better handling of recoil, and it's something I'm just used to from my other rifles.  I wouldn't see any reason to look down on someone who prefered the traditional stock though.  I think like many things, its about what you personally feel comfortable with and train with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
i like the pistol grip stock i put on my 9200a1 and only on that shotgun.  i bought it origonaly for another but could not stand it.  lop and trigger finger placement was all retarded.  but it seems to fit perfectly on this one.  shit, if nothing else it prevents a bloody gouged up index finger or thumb from using those sorry-ass gg&g side sling adapters i have and cant use on any other shotgun i own.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
a more stable platform - True
more natural position for my wrist - Especially with a shortened stock!
aids in maneuverability - Mas or menos. With two hands, it doesn't matter. With one hand, very much so.
distributes recoil into my hand and shoulder - If you hold it right. If you grip a pistol gripped shotgun like you would a pistol, it hurts.
better one handed control - true
reduces silhouette -
and I just shoot way better with one -

The problem with most pistol gripped stocks is that they're so darn long!

A shortened stock has less perceived recoil, better recoil control, easier manipulation of controls, better maneuverability. and a shorten OAL.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/seven_sixtwo/Shotguns/DSC03411edit.jpg

what kind of shotgun is that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the Knoxx, recoil reduction, with powerpack on my Remington 870, i really enjoyed the pistol grip part or it, But in order to get the sight picture/bear w.e i found that it would hit my cheek, and after awhile i would actually get a black and blue,

If you are getting slapped in the face the stock is too short.

I had it on the longest setting, im 6'3 but nothing more i can do.every time it would slap. guess you have to be short to enjoy it. lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX, and like the 500s, the safety location makes pistol grips...stupid.

You make an excellent point, a lot depends on the gun they're on.  I also have a problem with muscle memory, my thumb wants to look for the safety (AR15/M16 use) with a pistol grip.  Contrary to another post, pistol grips do not aid in weapon retention and interfere with the rapid use of the buttstock as an impact device...commonly known as the "butt-stroke".  I've never had to use the "business end" of a shotgun on anyone yet, and hope I never have to, but I have applied the butt to a few sets of ribs to the desired effect.

All in all, it's pretty much the individual user's choice.

Rob

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't like pistol grips on pump shotguns. I find that for some reason it feels like more weight it transferred to the forend; which gets really heavy when you put a Surefire 618, and +2 mag extension. I don't know if this is just me or if others have this same issue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
This is kinda off topic, when I was looking for a shotty, I wanted one with a PG.  At a recent Gunshow there was a fellow with a traditional stocked FN SLP, I inquired if he had any with the PG.  He responded that I did'nt want the PG, if someone tried to take it away from me it would break my thumb.  However despite this the USMC adopted a shotty with PG, and every M16 variant since inception has included them.  I could only and walk away.  Ended up buying an FN TPS from another guy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]

1966 Remington Model 870 Wingmaster with a Remington topfolding stop.

Stock length on the fighting pump shotgun
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#25]
They dont look or feel natural on a shotgun. I dont like them at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I mainly do not like PGs with collapsible stocks.  They are not nearly as forgiving on the face as a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Most AR-15.comers do not hunt so a shotgun is a range toy, HD weapon or 3-Gun weapon.  

I have own a few PG stocked shotguns and they are ok but I like the traditional stock.  I have hunted upland birds with a PG stock Benelli M1 and a Mossberg 500 before I found my reaction time to a flushing bird was very slow, and shouldering the PG stock can be a struggle.  Also it is hard to swing on a bird with a PG stock shotgun.

I really enjoy pistol grip rifles, I've hunted deer with a HK91,FAL, AR15 and a Steyr AUG so I am a fan of PG stock guns but on a shotgun I'll pass.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are getting slapped in the face the stock is too short.

I had it on the longest setting, im 6'3 but nothing more i can do.every time it would slap. guess you have to be short to enjoy it. lol

Where are you setting your cheek weld at?  If you scrunch forward as if you werre NTCH on an AR, you are gonna get slapped.  With a Knoxx stock, you need to be in a position to have your head (and cheek weld) back on the stock (the part that is adjustable, not the "tube").  The slap comes from when the stock telescopes back, and that swollen area just before the 'buffer tube" forks is the 'slapping' culprit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Not really a pistol grip, but a thumbhole grip stock.  I've got this shotgun and also a short barrel with fiber optic sites.  I've killed a shit load of deer and turkey with it.  Handles like a dream.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top