Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:25:20 PM EDT
Anyone know if these are backbored? My cousin just bought one and I figured I'd do some digging and find out if they're OK for use with slugs as sold. He may or may not be deer hunting this year and we want to know if he needs another gun or barrel(if one is available). I'd have him check the manual but I haven't been able to get ahold of him on the phone to tell him.

I was thinking of buying one, but with it being a new model I wanted to try one first before spending the money($337 IIRC at Mills Fleet Farm). We'll see how it performs for him duck hunting this weekend, as well as a few rounds of me test firing it. My cousin and his brother are pretty much thrilled with it, but it's been on the market what-3 months? IMO not enough "real world" testing for me. Might turn out to be a great shotgun, and if it does there's a place for it in my gun cabinet. However, if it's a turd I don't want to deal with reselling it for what will likely be a 25%+ loss.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Call remington and ask?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If used for hunting and you want one I say go for it.  I would not know why a company would make a new pump shotgun that cant use slugs.  If it is to be used as a HD shotgun then I understand your worry and would hold off on it until it has established a good reputation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 I would not know why a company would make a new pump shotgun that cant use slugs.

Mossberg does, with the 835. A slug barrel is highly recommended, if not  required-marked right on the barrel in a Rugeresque warning, near the warning to read the manual-NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS. backboring as well as porting to lessen recoil with 3 1/2 inch magnums. I don't think there's a way to take the pain away from using that load.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I would not know why a company would make a new pump shotgun that cant use slugs.

Mossberg does, with the 835. A slug barrel is highly recommended, if not  required-marked right on the barrel in a Rugeresque warning, near the warning to read the manual-NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS. backboring as well as porting to lessen recoil with 3 1/2 inch magnums. I don't think there's a way to take the pain away from using that load.

You are right.  The 835 is overbored so slugs would not be a good idea, ( you learn something everyday) but that gun is a freak among shotguns and is specialized and the problem has to do with the barrel not the gun itself.  Remingtons new shotgun should be good to go with slugs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot it yesterday, OK for use with slugs. Overall a good shotgun but with the light weight and SOFT recoil pad I wouldn't recommend shooting any 3 1/2 inch magnums through it. The pad is soft enough for recoil to just about fully compress it and bring the stock itself into  contact with the shoulder. For anyone not planning on shooting 3 1/2" loads though, that's not an issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot some 3 1/2" loads. They are always fun to shoot
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shoot some 3 1/2" loads. They are always fun to shoot

I did. 3 1/2s are never "enjoyable" but in that gun they were downright punishing. Recoil was much harsher than the same load in a super mag 870. As I said, I suspect the overly soft recoil pad as much as anything else. If a pad for a synthetic 870 will fit the problem might be solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top