Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 5:56:55 PM EDT
I have 2 870Ps and neither eject as far as the Mossy 590A1.  The 870s get the shell out but they fall pretty close by........the 590 really flips them out.

Just a observation.  Does your 870 throw the spent case near or far?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how I run it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The 870s ejector depends on how fast you rack the slide. Doing it fast will eject it further. On Mossbergs the blade ejector will throw shells with minimal movement of the slide. I like the blade ejector better even though I hear that they can wear down after a while, but they are easy to replace compared to an 870 ejector; which can often be a factory job to replace. Although, you will almost never hear of an 870 ejector needing replacement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I took my 500 dove hunting last Sunday.  I forgot how far that thing spits out empty hulls.  I would expect the 590 to be the same.  I think I'll go back to the double, it's hard enough finding the damn doves without having to go searching all over the place for your hulls as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I took my 500 dove hunting last Sunday.  I forgot how far that thing spits out empty hulls.  I would expect the 590 to be the same.  I think I'll go back to the double, it's hard enough finding the damn doves without having to go searching all over the place for your hulls as well.

The one thing I've discovered I really like about the M37 is that it throws them right at your feet...unless you're shooting at an upward angle, then it tosses them waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy out in front of you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The one thing I've discovered I really like about the M37 is that it throws them right at your feet...unless you're shooting at an upward angle, then it tosses them waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy out in front of you.

Also if you shoot left handed (my dad is left eye dominant) it keeps the shells from flying in front of your face.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also if you shoot left handed (my dad is left eye dominant) it keeps the shells from flying in front of your face.

I'm a lefty, and all of my guns are right handed, and I've never had a shell hit my face.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm a lefty, and all of my guns are right handed, and I've never had a problem with shells hitting my face.

I've never seen a shell hit anyone in the face, I do know several lefties have said it is somewhat distracting to have empty hulls flying through your field of vision though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't most Mossbergs come with a dual extractor? That could explain the difference beyond the two guns being different designs altogether. Never had a problem with the shells in the 870, maybe pump it back harder?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't most Mossbergs come with a dual extractor? That could explain the difference beyond the two guns being different designs altogether. Never had a problem with the shells in the 870, maybe pump it back harder?

The 870's ejector is dependent on how fast you rack it. The Mossberg uses a blade ejector; which will throw shells far even with the tiniest movement past the ejector.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
And your point?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top