Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2009 7:00:45 PM EDT
Anybody have one for sale or a source for one?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody have one for sale or a source for one?

Made from unobtanium.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm always shocked that  no one has made a repro
of these adapters
I mean people ask about them all the time here
and on other websites.
Maybe the time is finally coming.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mk1 military units w/ the dovetail cut for rifle sights is just about impossible to find.  It was issued in low numbers and I don't think very many if any police picked it up.  I have never seen one for sale at any price.  I haven't actively been looking for one, but I do keep my eye out.

The version with the bead sight is a little easier to find, but still pretty rare.  It was a semi commercial unit that was primarily sold to police.  It was also used to some degree or another by the Air Force.  I say the Air Force as I have seen pictures of them in use.  It may have been a special order that only was of limited issue.  I believe Remington went to this format because the rifle sights on the MK1 would fall out.  If you check on pictures of the MK1, many have the front sight missing.  In fact, there is a fairly common picture of a Marine who has a MK1 in a Sage stock with no sights.

I have one of the bead sighted units.  It is not for sale, but I will trade it for a MK1 version.  It is very simple in construction.  Basically it is stamped sheet metal with a bayonet lug w/ sling loop brazed on.  It has 3 bolts, one of which ride in the groove on the standard 3 shot Rem factory magazine extension.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a picture of the Airman.  I am guessing he is using bird bombs to clear an airstrip.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently purchased a used REM 870 and it has the beaded version of the Rem mk1 bayonet mag extension combo. I didn't know anything about these till i did some internet searches. What is the value of this MK1 unit. It's in excellent to mint shape.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, also note that I have one, I would guess $200 for the Remington 870 bayonet mount w/ bead sight and mag extension.  If it were the version with the rifle sights, I would ask $350 for it.  These are very rare parts that are popular.  When I got mine, I also didn't realize how rare they were.  Once I started researching them, I realized what I had.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a used REM 870 and it has the beaded version of the Rem mk1 bayonet mag extension combo. I didn't know anything about these till i did some internet searches. What is the value of this MK1 unit. It's in excellent to mint shape.

Just a tiny bit of clarification: If it has the bead sight and bayonet lug, it is not a Mk1.  It's an 870 with the Mk1 style adapter added.

While that seems like a tiny detail, as was stated earlier; it seems that no one has ever seen a true Mk1 for sale on the civilian market at any price (hence my first tongue-in-cheek response).
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll see the beaded sight version selling on Ebay from time to time. The buy it now price is usually around $200. Nordic systems, I think that's their name, sells a bayonet lug that goes on like a mag clamp. It sells for around $75. I have never seen it in person, but it looks pretty beefy on the website.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'll see the beaded sight version selling on Ebay from time to time. The buy it now price is usually around $200. Nordic systems, I think that's their name, sells a bayonet lug that goes on like a mag clamp. It sells for around $75. I have never seen it in person, but it looks pretty beefy on the website.

S&J Hardware, not Nordic.

http://sjhardware.com/870Bayo.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been wanting one of the Rem 870 bayonet mounts/extensions for about 5-6 years now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My new drill mill is on order and I'm curious for a project to see if I can build a repro. Anyone know if there is a schematic or just a series of good pics of various angles of the mount they'd like to share with me?
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My new drill mill is on order and I'm curious for a project to see if I can build a repro. Anyone know if there is a schematic or just a series of good pics of various angles of the mount they'd like to share with me?

not mine btw...but if u get some made, ill buy...
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Confused.

Is the front sight part of the "clamp" or part of the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Confused.

Is the front sight part of the "clamp" or part of the barrel?

Part of the barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you.

Another question regarding the 870 Mk1

What vintage/type was the shotgun? Wingmaster? Express? Police? And does anyone know when the Marine Corps started (and stopped) buying them?

Just thinking.

I would like to have one. If the bayonet adapter is all that I would really be missing, I could start looking for the shotgun... great excuse to buy another gun and start another project.

All the USMC shotguns look like they have 20-inch barrels while the USAF guns appear to have 18-inch barrels?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are some pictures of my 870 US Air Force clone.  The true USMC MK1 uses rifle sights instead of a bead.  Luckily I love the bead over rifle sights, so I am happy.  The stock is shortened and has a Limbsaver recoil pad added.  I am considering having it refinished, although I like the used finish.  It is actually faded/worn bluing but it matches the parkerized bayonet lug.  The bayonet lug/mag clamp is just folded sheet metal with a bayonet lug attached to the bottom of it.  It is a pretty simple part that would probably be pretty easy to make a clone of.

Johnny_flashbang:  Are you sure the rifle sighted version it attached to the barrel?  I only ask because my bead sight version it attached to the bayonet lug/mag clamp.  If it is attached, it would be a simple matter to cut out a window to make a true USMC MK1 clone.  I only ask as I guess the rifle sight was attached to the bayo lug, but I have never seen one in person.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#17]
There were less than 6,000 MkI Bayo adapters made, and maybe a dozen that are in civi hands. The design is slightly different than the AF bayo adapter, which are available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe the USMC used Wingmaster guns.  I have seen pictures of US Property marked Wingmasters.  The USMC picked up the guns in the late 1960's.  According to Bruce Canfield's (A Collector's Guide to US Combat Shotguns), it has a 21" barrel.  The US Air Force gun has a 20" gun (as does mine pictured above).
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
whoever decides to make em, ill buy one...
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
whoever decides to make em, ill buy one...

Me too.

Great lookin shotguns guys. Any more guns/pics?

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Pictures!  An old late 60's early 70's police wingmaster I picked up with the bayonet lug thingie.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is one.   http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140626048

Neil
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
damn...right when i dont have any extra cash...somebody by that and hold on to it for me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top