Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 10:02:26 PM EDT
I picked up a 311 this week for $250. I'd like to spruce it up a bit. The wood is ok, it's the rest of it that I'd like to bring back to life.

I'm also curious as to what the general cleaning and maintenance procedures.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT dry fire it withouth snap caps.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
A good soaking in a bucket of kerosene ( of course with out the wood) action and barrel and spraying out with air hose works wonders.  When I get one in my shop for  cleaning that what I do before I dissassemble it for a detailed cleaning,  except I use a parts washer and a little pan inside it.

The butt is held on with a through bolt and the forend wood with a couple of screws.

CEW
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Clean the barrel like any other shotgun, but twice since there are two barrels

Get some Hoppes No. 9 solvent and a pick/brush set from Wal Mart (total will be around $10 bucks total). Use the picks to get any stubborn material and use the brushes to get rid of fowling. If there is rust, use some steel wool (i have heard stainless steel wool doesn't scratch bluing - I do not know if this is right and would not suggest it unless advised by a creditable gunsmith). I have heard that break-open shotgun guys like to use a special grease to lube their shotguns. This can be found at a gun shop.

Beautiful gun BTW, that is just like one that I want to get someday and convert it to a coach gun
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Get some Hoppes No. 9 solvent and a pick/brush set from Wal Mart (total will be around $10 bucks total). Use the picks to get any stubborn material and use the brushes to get rid of fowling. If there is rust, use some steel wool (i have heard stainless steel wool doesn't scratch bluing - I do not know if this is right and would not suggest it unless advised by a creditable gunsmith). I have heard that break-open shotgun guys like to use a special grease to lube their shotguns. This can be found at a gun shop.

Beautiful gun BTW, that is just like one that I want to get someday and convert it to a coach gun

I suppose if I shot one very much I'd take the time to find out what they use, but IMO, nothing is going to beat nickel or copper based anti seize paste from your local autoparts store.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose if I shot one very much I'd take the time to find out what they use, but IMO, nothing is going to beat nickel or copper based anti seize paste from your local autoparts store.

I think there is a vid on youtube from midwayusa that talks about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top