Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2009 2:36:23 PM EDT

the magnum label worries me, seeing as my m37 was made a long time ago.  just want to make sure before i ruin my shotty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
wooooo...get ready for that old mule to kick the crap out of ya..

should be fine though...I wouldn't, but it should be ok.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be fine, as long as your Ithaca is in good condition. If your really worried then get it checked with a gunsmith. That must be one old shell I havn't seen one of those with the, "Mark 6" on the side in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You can try anything once

It should be fine, but check with your local 'smith if you're not sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
why?

if your hunting it should be fine.

Be sure to tighten the stock screw, they are notorious for cracking
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
yea it will be going through this pup

serial number says it was made in 1968.  i was just wondering if the magnum indication meant a higher perssure or something like +p for pistol rounds.  the ithaca is in 100% working condition, but i like to double check before anything magnum or +p goes in my weapons, expecially one this old.  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Magnum in terms of buckshot means more pellets, the pressure would be a bit more than a regular shell, but you have to remember that shotguns are low pressure firearms, as compared to rifles and handguns. Haven't I seen that Ithaca 37 on the equipment exchange?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
It shouldn't hurt the gun (never hurt mine), but like was posted before, whoa! be ready for the kick!!

The first magnum shell I ran through mine duck hunting in 1973 I thought I'd broken my shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Magnum in terms of buckshot means more pellets, the pressure would be a bit more than a regular shell, but you have to remember that shotguns are low pressure firearms, as compared to rifles and handguns. Haven't I seen that Ithaca 37 on the equipment exchange?

yea i have this shotty listed on the EE.  if it doesnt sell i will get the tube extended and add a pictanity rail somewhere for a laser.  eventually get it re-blued, these guns are great, and it deserves to look great too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Am I missing something here?

Magnum, would that not indicate a 3" shell?

Older Ithacas are 2 3/4 inch only and cannot safely shoot 3" shells.  What's it say on the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Older Ithacas are 2 3/4 inch only and cannot safely shoot 3" shells.  What's it say on the barrel?

x100000 ......that is a 3" shell and ithacas were just for 2 3/4" .....
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

no this is a 2.75in shell.  here it is next to some others. from left to right: Express Power Piston, SuperX Mark 6, Lawman, and Selior and Bellot.  The sellior and bellot and the lawman are marked 2 3/4 on the shell.

ive shot those longer S&B shells in the ithaca no problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
be careful with that pistol grip. It's a crappy design for the Ithaca and they are prone to breaking under hi recoil(mine did). Don't get me wrong, I loved mine while I had it, but they are irreplaceable(have been looking for a pachmyr ever since mine broke!)

PS- my ithaca 37 looked just like that till I had to put a different pistol grip on it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
that SB is not a 3 inch shell, just a different style crimp, that is why it is longer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
so the verdict is not a 3in shell so its good to go in the m37!
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why?

if your hunting it should be fine.

Be sure to tighten the stock screw, they are notorious for cracking

THIS!
Good advice on  winchester 1897's too.

I see your using a pistol grip, so this dont apply.
I have several Ithaca's, they will handle what you put in it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting, didn't realize that some 2 3/4" shells had been marked as Magnum, kind of unnecessarily confusing is it not?

If it's 2 3/4" I don't see how it could harm your shotgun, your wrist might hurt a bit at the end of the day though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top