Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2009 9:34:57 AM EDT
iv been looking at a stoeger or remington spr220 for a while and have heard alot of mixed things about them...people that own them seem to like um just fine but then you have the guys that spent $2000 on there shotgun that just hate the things for some reason and arnt happy unless they see everyone buy a $2000 SXS like they did, and im sure those pricy SXS are very nice.

well, anyways I was up at gander Mt the other day looking at there mosins and came across a lightly used remington spr220 shotgun for alittle under $300 so i said what the hell and put what i had in my pocket down on it and im going to pick it up in a few days. its the blued version with double triggers and internal hammers..barrels are 18 inches i believe but they could be 20.

just going to use this thing for blowing stuff up at the range aswell as a woods gun, maybe a turkey/hog gun..it may see some time outside the safe for home defence if it proves its self good enough for the job..

just wanted to see if anyone here owns one and if its given them any trouble..over at shotgunworld.com i keep getting to many $2000 shotgunners that have never owned one chiming in, so id only like to hear from people that have owned or fired this shotgun or one like it please

thanks guys..i dont normally hang around the shotgun forums ut maybe i'll drop by more often

Dan
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep my Baikal Bounty Hunter 2 hidden behind a door, stoked-up with Aguila Mini-Slugs [385gr @ 1250 fps] and reduced recoil buckshot on a butt-cuff as a "Justin" gun. [just-in-case] With Scotch Tape over the muzzle to keep spiders and insects OUT!

Ford hi-temp Engine Block Black paint on stocks

Having owned several of both Stoeger's and Baikal's, I prefer the Baikal/Remington over the Stoeger because the Stoeger's auto-safety is quite difficult to disconnect.  As a responsible shooter, I don't need to f__k around with a MANDATORY, annoying auto-safety required to import these heavy-recoiling little shoulder-busters.

+1 for the Baikal
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply..the one im getting is very much like yours - the paint which is nice BTW

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Baikal IJ-43 SxS in the mid 1990's, which  I use as a beater upland bird gun.  I have taken quite a number of quail, chukar and dove with it.  I have had no problems and can hit what I shoot at.  It is somewhat rough, but does work well.  My other upland gun is an L.C. Smith SxS, so you do have one shotgunner with a $2,000 classic SxS that won't completely berate it.

It is the one on the bottom in this pic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Never shot a Remington version. I did own two Baikals though. I still own the Bounty HunterII in 12 gauge  20 inch removable chockes. It has a very nice walnut stock, decent checkering and stock finish.  I had a 28 gauge with walnut stock, selective ejectors and single selective trigger. I just traded it to a guy here on the board. Nohing really wrong with it. I just like a little higher grade of double. The problems as a whole if you can call them that. The timing on cocking the hammers is a little early. This keeps them from wanting to stay fully open. The ejctors got a bit sticky on the 28 unless you kept it sqeeky clean.The auto saftey is annoying as mentioned above. I dont think thats madatory for importation though. CZs dont have them.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
nice to hear yours has served you well...the L.C smith's are quite a beautifull shotgun...handled a few while at a gunshow..guy had one or two for sale alone with some very nice old colts and S&W revolvers...wish i had the money for one as it really has a pleasure just handling it
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
anyone els with one of these shotguns ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at getting one of those Norinco coach guns.  My dealer suggested the SPR 220 with the functional external hammers and I'm glad I went with it.  The fit and finish is excellent.  It looks and feels like a much more expensive shotgun than it is.

ETA:  No problems shooting with it, though I haven't put more than 100 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
thats great, all i ask out of mine is, it hits what im aiming at and it doesnt break =P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top