Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2008 3:37:43 PM EDT
Does anyone know what is the shortest barrel someone has used on a A5 and if it worked? Im craving a SBS A5 to go witn my 18 inch gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Well Bonnie and Clyde and a pretty short Remington 11 / Browning A5
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The true A5's are recoil operated, not gas.  Seems I read the SAS used them in Malaysia and cut the barrels off at 20".  Not sure how short you want to go.  If you're going to chop up a nice Browning just do it 1" at a time and see where you can go before it malfunctions (or not).

http://www.dwsuk.org/shop/article_496/British-Army-Browning-L32A1-12G.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D496%26
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I have all ready. It's 18 1/4 inches. IF I ever do I will find me a beater and do the work on it.

Quoted:
The true A5's are recoil operated, not gas.  Seems I read the SAS used them in Malaysia and cut the barrels off at 20".  Not sure how short you want to go.  If you're going to chop up a nice Browning just do it 1" at a time and see where you can go before it malfunctions (or not).

http://www.dwsuk.org/shop/article_496/British-Army-Browning-L32A1-12G.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D496%26
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You know, there's just something awesome looking about those Auto 5's.  I almost had one once.  Thought about getting one of the copies (Remington or Savage??) and working it into hard duty gun but never got around to it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've ever seen Lone Wolf McQuade...

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I did but longgggggggggg time ago. That is a movie gun. I dont want ot buy a A5 ,then send 200 to the gov, then cut it to find out if it works or not. the only part of the movie I remember was when he was buried in that  Power wagon with the super charger on it and flew out of the ground.

Quoted:

www.austinchronicle.com/binary/457738b2/pols_feature-11805.jpeg

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Recoil and function is regulated on an A5/M11 by placement of the brass friction rings on the magazine tube. I have a Model 11 cut down to 18". It runs great on slugs and buck.

Clyde Barrow had one cut down to the mag tube. He was a POS but he knew his guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Im thinking it should run fine because of the recoil spring system. I can shoot light stuff out of the black magnum now. But I want to make sure before I invest in that Tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]

img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00620.jpg

That's a sweet ass Auto 5.  I never thought about tricking one out but I have a beater that was my great grandpa's that would make a great foundation.  I may have found my next project.  I just can't let my old man know what I'm doing with it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00620.jpg

That's a sweet ass Auto 5.  I never thought about tricking one out but I have a beater that was my great grandpa's that would make a great foundation.  I may have found my next project.  I just can't let my old man know what I'm doing with it.  

Just snag different barrel to cut off and put synthetic furniture on it for your fun gun.  You can put it back to orginal in less that 10 minutes.  I've got one I'm using and another I'm building out of parts right now.  They are AWESOME.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I am still working on this Model 11 that I put together from parts bought through Ebay before they finished going nuts. 18 1/2 inch barrel on it.

Here are the adjustments you can do to the recoil system on the A5 and Model 11.

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.austinchronicle.com/binary/457738b2/pols_feature-11805.jpeg

I've seen the movie and like the gun, although I question if it would work or not.  The barrel length is not the question, I think the shortened stock might be a different story.  I believe the bolt return spring tube that runs into the stock is longer than that pic shows.  I don't know how much if any you could shorten it and the gun still function properly.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#13]
M4-TUNA, where did you get the extended mag tube for the A5? I have a beater that I want to do this to, the only hang up is finding the mag tube. Thanks for any reply.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm working on a Savage 720 now.

Just took the steel parts to Lauer Custom for parkerizing and will take some good pictures when I get it back.

As it started out.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just snag different barrel to cut off and put synthetic furniture on it for your fun gun.  You can put it back to orginal in less that 10 minutes.  I've got one I'm using and another I'm building out of parts right now.  They are AWESOME.

Rob,
Just snag a different barrel?!  Do you know where there is an A-5 barrel for less  than $300? I have a 1960s vintage Belgian A-5 and I'm looking for a modern 2-3/4" Japanese barrel for duck hunting and steel shot. Barrels aren't exactly growing on trees.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn I was just talking about this thread few days ago. My ears must have been burning.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
M4-TUNA, where did you get the extended mag tube for the A5? I have a beater that I want to do this to, the only hang up is finding the mag tube. Thanks for any reply.

Choate made them years ago. They are out there .
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob,
Just snag a different barrel?!  Do you know where there is an A-5 barrel for less  than $300? I have a 1960s vintage Belgian A-5 and I'm looking for a modern 2-3/4" Japanese barrel for duck hunting and steel shot. Barrels aren't exactly growing on trees.

I guess that depends on what you want.  You're wanting a nice hunting barrel, we were talking about a beater barrel to cut off.  You can find those barrels on Gunbroker for under $200 all the time, if your patient you can get them for under $150.  I've cut off two Japanese VR barrels you probably would have loved, but I bought them cheap for that purpose.

Rob

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top