Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 8:26:23 PM EDT
I picked up an 835 for turkey the other year and the only choke I got with it was the extended ported ultra full mossberg turkey choke.

Was planning on going duck and goose hunting in a couple weeks here and need to get a choke for steel shot.

I want to get an extended ported one to help with the recoil a bit, where is a good reasonably priced choke and a good place to get it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Extended ported chokes really don't help with recoil.  

Ported barrels increase in efficiency in direct relationship to the amount of pressure being generated...that's why ported / braked rifle barrels work well.  Shotguns are "low pressure" and steel shot uses slow burning powder.  There is no noticable difference in recoil, only in report...which can actually increase perceived recoil.  They do strip the wad from the shot column sooner, theoretically resulting in better patterns.  

Is it worth $50?  Probably not.  A hit is a hit and a miss will still be a miss.  In range remains in range and out of range is just that.  the differnce between no choke and turkey choke within a given gauge / load combo is about 10 yards.

Get an Improved cylinder for larger goose sized shot, and try a modified for duck sized pellets.  With steel, they "generally" pattern a little tighter than what's marked on the tube as steel (which is (soft iron) does not deform like lead during setback (internal ballistics.)

You may need to try a couple different brands  / payload weights / speeds to find one that throws consistent (non-splotchy) patterns from your gun.  Don't go by the lable on the box.  Every gun / choke combo is unique to what it likes, it seems.  This is more important.  

I have a bucket full of chokes in the basement.  Musical chokes is a game I quit playing a few years ago.  Focus on the target, and it will break / die.  Quit worrying about the importance of a few thousandths constriction.  Ammo is where you'll see the big difference in pattern improvement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top