Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2008 12:40:49 PM EDT
I have the mossberg 51663 model with the ghost ring sights. The range I go to allows slugs on the rifle range. I'd like to zero it in with slugs. Is there a specific type,brand...etc slug I should be looking for? This is my first shotgun, and I'm not very familiar with this type of ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Federal Tactical reduced recoil loads.
There are lots of sexier slug loads out there.
If you're going to bother zeroing your gun, stick to one load.

The 590 is a hard kicking beast. For social work stay clear of maximum and magnum loads.
You'll be hurting so bad you'll have trouble with the followup shot.
Run a box of magnums through that pup for shits and grins if you don't believe me.

Hunters keep trying to turn shotguns into .71 caliber rifles, they're not.
Think fast shots on small moving targets, even with buck or slugs.
I mean small moving targets to include human heads.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Should I get rifled slugs?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
post some pics of that sexy beast. im planing on getting an 18.5 A1 soon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Should I get rifled slugs?

Yes

Rifled slugs are designed to be used in smoothbore shotgun barrels. I would recommend just buying a few different brands of 2 3/4" rifled slugs, and then trying them at the range. What is accurate in one barrel can be very inaccurate in another barrel. I personally like Brenneke KO Slugs because they are very accurate in my 18" 870. Shooting rifled slugs will lead your barrel pretty bad, so be sure to break out the elbow grease when you clean it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
post some pics of that sexy beast. im planing on getting an 18.5 A1 soon. he
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/javalligator/Firearms/theFamily-1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well you inspired me to assemble the family for a photo (Glock 30SF, LMT AR-15, M590A1):

i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn318/javalligator/Firearms/theFamily-1.jpg

Looks like you've got a pretty good basic set-up there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like you've got a pretty good basic set-up there.

+1. Not much in this country that you couldnt hunt or defend yourself from with those 3 weapons. I always like the phrase that goes something like, "Fear the man who owns one rifle, for he will know how to use it." I should live by that and get rid of all the stuff I never shoot. Wait a minute, what am I saying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Just get a variety of slugs. Shoot them all then zero your shotgun with the specific slug load that shoots the best. Then stock up on that ammo.

Be sure to try Brennekee KO slugs and some reduced recoil slugs. Try whatever is locally available for a fair price too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from the range. What a beast, I had a lot of fun shooting the 590, and I have a red, sore shoulder to prove it. I enjoyed shooting the shotgun over the AR and Glock combined. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
There are some really good recoil pads on the market these days.  The only problem is they increase the length of pull by at least an inch so some people have to shorten their stock to be able to use them.  I put a Limb Saver on my 590 & it made a noticeable difference, especially with magnum loads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice setup .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top