Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:11:35 PM EDT
I asked for a lot of input and got some good opinions in designing my first SBS.  Here a link to that thread.  It started life as a 20" Stoeger 12ga Coachgun.  I chopped the barrel to 8 1/2" and reshaped the stock to a whippet style grip.  I'm finishing the stock with one coat of Danish Oil (for color) and mutliple coats of BLO (boiled linseed oil), for sheen.  I'll follow it up with Toms 1/3 wax mix found here..  Here are some pics, hope you like!

Click any pic for larger (and to view more)

ETA:  I need help finishing the plug in the grip, see this thread.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Thats awesome....

Wonder what it will be like to shoot ? Can you carry concealed with a regular CC permit ?
I wish I had one in my collection.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
F'en sweet!!!!!!!!!  How long did it take from the initial thought to the final product?

Good Luck with it!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Both barrels, Dragons' Breath, video, etc.!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
nice project
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the idea in March after seeing some of the very cool SBS/AOW's in that thread.  I did some research and purchased the shotty at the April Wannamacher's Gun Show in Tulsa (the World's largest gun show).  I submitted my Form 1 on 4/10 and received it back 6/23 (a longer than usual wait due to me sending a photocopied signature on the duplicate form).  Course I was off getting married and have since been busy moving and working.  My local gunsmith did the chopping on the barrels which took just days.  I've been working on the forend and grip for about 10 days.

I've not had a chance to shoot it yet!  Unbelieveably it's hard to find places out here to shoot a shotty (at least places where I won't get disapproving looks).  I going to go to my closest BLM, Lexington, this weekend, hopefully.  No we can't CCW SBS's in OK.  The definations of a pistol and SBS are just too dissimiliar.  Frank the owner of ETS in TN (check out his shotty's) says he's trying to get his state legislature to change his laws to allow CCW of an AOW or SBS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Really really nice!!!  That's the kind of range toy any shooter would like to try at least onceheTo retain the plug have you thought about rare earth magnets?  The smallest ones should strong enough to hold the plug, even under recoil, but not too strong to prevent removal.  

Just fashion some kind of extension on the plug so the magnet would stick to the stock bolt.

For removal, maybe you can find a way to insert a small nut in the plug with a small hole in the back of the plug in wich can insert and thread a small machine screw, then you just pull on it and out comes the plug?

Don't know if it makes sense, I can sketch you something if you want!h
ETA: here is the sketch:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x228/smokinghull/plugmagnet892.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
^^ Brilliant!  I thought of the same thing myself :)  Your sketch is excellent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome little beauty.

As soon as I get the hell out of michigan (no SBS/SBR/silencer) and clean the stink of detroit off me, I'm doing exactly what you've got there, but with exposed hammers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
GOD I want one!  20gauge- same setup, more control...= AWESOME!
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta make a thigh holster a la Mad Max.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top