Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:45:45 PM EDT
So i'm ordering my first shotgun tomorrow, Rem 870 18" (model 5077). What are some key things i should get to 'bullet proof' her? I remember reading about a spring/follower but cannot find the thread again. I know I want trijicon ghost rings, light w/ tapeswitch (recommendations?), new forend (speed feed or scattergun?), stock saddle. I'm unsure about spring/follower, recoil pad... what else?

I'm set on the gun but pretty open to accessories. i want to keep it simple but very functional!

I really like this 870 i saw in the pic thread, but haven't got a response from the poster.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If its a home defense gun you dont really need to spend the big bucks on the sight upgrades. The bed sight is good enough for realistic home defense ranges if it shoots to point of aim.

You are going to get a ton of responses all very different because we all have different opinions on what a HD shotgun needs.

What you need is good quality buckshot that produces consistant patterns from your weapon. Slugs that shoot to point of aim (I prefer slugs with the attached wad like brennekee's in case you have to take a hostage shot) and training from someone like Rob Haught or Louis Awerbuck.

as far as equipment upgrades.
Remove the factory magazine extention and sell it on the EE for $50.00. it makes the shotgun heavy where its most noticable, at the muzzle. Use that money to buy a scattergun tech follower $6.00, a Rem police mag spring $4.00, a magazine cap $12.00, and a four round tacstar side saddle $21.00 (for your slugs).

For a light save up your money and get a surefire forend with the P60L led upgrade.

After that decide if you want no sling or a 1, 2 or 3pt sling.

Then its just training and practise, practise, practise.

Go to the ttraining forum when you have a chance and read the two or three reveiws of awerbuck shotgun classes. OP has a clint smith class reveiww in General discussion too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
While it is going to be primarily an HD gun I do plan on shooting it as I do all of my guns, so I want the GR sights for the range too. I'm not a fan of the surefire forend, I like the setup in the pic i posted. I was really looking for an idea of what mount would be best for the light as well as good support for the extension. I'm getting the 5077 because of the mag extension. I like the idea of extra capacity, though, I understand what you're saying about the weight. I think it's a worthwhile trade-off.

I'm definitely on the same page as you with the side saddle for brennekee slugs and using good buck shot. I was leaning towards Fed #4 buck shot since i live in a town house.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If its a home defense gun you dont really need to spend the big bucks on the sight upgrades. The bed sight is good enough for realistic home defense ranges if it shoots to point of aim.

You are going to get a ton of responses all very different because we all have different opinions on what a HD shotgun needs.

What you need is good quality buckshot that produces consistant patterns from your weapon. Slugs that shoot to point of aim (I prefer slugs with the attached wad like brennekee's in case you have to take a hostage shot) and training from someone like Rob Haught or Louis Awerbuck.

as far as equipment upgrades.
Remove the factory magazine extention and sell it on the EE for $50.00. it makes the shotgun heavy where its most noticable, at the muzzle. Use that money to buy a scattergun tech follower $6.00, a Rem police mag spring $4.00, a magazine cap $12.00, and a four round tacstar side saddle $21.00 (for your slugs).

For a light save up your money and get a surefire forend with the P60L led upgrade.

After that decide if you want no sling or a 1, 2 or 3pt sling.

Then its just training and practise, practise, practise.

Go to the ttraining forum when you have a chance and read the two or three reveiws of awerbuck shotgun classes. OP has a clint smith class reveiww in General discussion too.

The only things I can add to this are:

You will also need a old style magazine spring retainer which is $3.00, and the only other upgrade you may consider is a machined extractor $13.00. I personally prefer a shorter buttstock, so I would recommend a Hogue Youth Stock if you like conventional stocks, and the Speedfeed IV-S if you like a pistol-gripped stock.

Otherwise, just spend money on shells.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Birdshot, clay targets, clay target thrower, buckshot, slugs, large paper targets, staple gun and target backing.

Shoot clay birds with birdshot, pattern buckshot and slugs. Repeat, repeat, repeat..................................................................................................................

That gun needs no upgrade until about 30K rounds.

MIKE.

I agree.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The posts above covered it all.

I would...

1. Add a Vang Comp big head saftey.
2. Leave the magazine extension for awhile and down load it by one or two shells to see if the weight is a problem for you or not.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My guess on the light mount in your pic is one of these mag clamps and a 1" scope ring.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I was planning on shooting it a lot initially to get familiar with it but also make sure it is reliable. I've already began to stock up on birdshot for practice and will put maybe 100rds of fed buck and brennekee slugs through it as well.

thanks for the link to the messa clamp/mount!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Bright Flashlights.com  (Ocala FL) will set you up with the light you are looking for.  Otherwise you are spending big dollars for the Surefire forend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bright Flashlights.com  (Ocala FL) will set you up with the light you are looking for.  Otherwise you are spending big dollars for the Surefire forend.

+1

great guy, great prices
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

great guy, great prices

I was looking to order from them but didn't see what i was looking for. Maybe i'll just IM them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely call him, he knows his products well and is willing to make suggestions that will save you lots of headache.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Birdshot, clay targets, clay target thrower, buckshot, slugs, large paper targets, staple gun and target backing.

Shoot clay birds with birdshot, pattern buckshot and slugs. Repeat, repeat, repeat..................................................................................................................

That gun needs no upgrade until about 30K rounds.

MIKE.

I agree with Mike on this except for the gun needs a sling.  Doesn't have to be complicated, just a simple strap that you can remove easily.  I also agree with AR15fan that the gun pictured will be VERY muzzle heavy and harder to control during movements.

Sights are usually a matter of taste.  I like GRS and have them on a couple of my shotguns, but a good bead will usually get the job done at practical ranges on a shotgun.  The cost of a good set and installation will buy a lot of ammo.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top