Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2008 6:17:28 PM EDT
Okay, not a total noob, but I've only had a Benelli and wasn't terribly fond of it.

What's the thinking amongst the hivemind for a good, reliable, not horribly spendy, easy manual-of-arms semi-auto?  Gimme yer thinking, please!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with an 1100 and it can be had in every flavor from tacticool to total Fudd.  Their only alleged weak point is a $.30  O-Ring that can be bought at any quality HW store.  There are newer guns and there are cooler guns, but there is nothing as versatile.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I ask why the Benelli did not work out for you?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have killed umpteens of stuff with my Rem 1100 in 12ga.
But with the right loads, my Ithaca MAG-10 is a massive death machine!
10Ga is hard to find, but the payload is up to 2.5 Oz!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Okay, not a total noob, but I've only had a Benelli and wasn't terribly fond of it.

What's the thinking amongst the hivemind for a good, reliable, not horribly spendy, easy manual-of-arms semi-auto?  Gimme yer thinking, please!  

yes please explain
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
works every time

eta: 11-87

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Manual of arms was just too annoying.  

I know, practice practice and more practice....but it just wasn't clicking for me the way most every other gun does.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Remington 1100/11-87 has always worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
When I got my 1100 with syn stocks, I took it out for some skeet practice, it fit from the start. There was an instant connection. I have shot Brownings, Mossbergs, Bennelis, C.Dalys, Winchesters, Ithacas, and a few no names.......the Rem1100 just fit. Plus, the price is not too bad, esp for a good used one. Check the pawn shops now for em. When people are down on cash, (like now) they get rid of guns. Plus, since its not hunting season, and money is scarce, they should cut you a hell of a deal. Just don't get sucked in by the savings. lol There will be other things on "sale" that you can't do without. lol
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When I got my 1100 with syn stocks, I took it out for some skeet practice, it fit from the start. There was an instant connection. I have shot Brownings, Mossbergs, Bennelis, C.Dalys, Winchesters, Ithacas, and a few no names.......the Rem1100 just fit. Plus, the price is not too bad, esp for a good used one. Check the pawn shops now for em. When people are down on cash, (like now) they get rid of guns. Plus, since its not hunting season, and money is scarce, they should cut you a hell of a deal. Just don't get sucked in by the savings. lol There will be other things on "sale" that you can't do without. lol

I guess I'm "lucky" in that we don't have any particularly decent pawn shops within about 200 miles of here - then you hit Portland, which runs hot and cold on 'em.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
lol yeah you are "lucky".

Its great I can get really good deals here. However, I don't know if its a fair trade for living in a black/white trash wasteland. lol I would rather be back in the desert than here in the MS river delta.
My plan is to get as many great deals, then move away with them! her

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hands down, the best Semi Auto shotgun out there is the SAIGA 12, I'm quite surprised that no one had mentioned it already in this thread, it takes stick mags and drums and uses the ultra reliable Kalashnikov design.

Its quite simply the coolest shotgun ever, get one before the liberals deside you arent safe with it!!!

my $0.02
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Manual of arms was just too annoying.  

I know, practice practice and more practice....but it just wasn't clicking for me the way most every other gun does.  

Did you have a Benelli pump or semi auto???

I am confused byt manual of arms.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its great I can get really good deals here. However, I don't know if its a fair trade for living in a black/white trash wasteland. lol I would rather be back in the desert than here in the MS river delta.
My plan is to get as many great deals, then move away with them!
IE- my brother just bought an 11-87 supermag with wood stocks at about 90% for $375. It shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2". Its a bit more heavy than my 1100 or my 870, but it runs flawless.

Brag brag brag.  

I like the "buy the great deals and then move away" plan, though!  

Quoted:

I had one of the old Benelli semiauto imports from HK.  I'm not sure what you mean by the other comment ... you are confused by the manual of arms?  Or you don't know what "manual of arms" is?

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My plan is to get as many great deals, then move away with them!
IE- my brother just bought an 11-87 supermag with wood stocks at about 90% for $375. It shoots 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2". Its a bit more heavy than my 1100 or my 870, but it runs flawless.

Brag brag brag.  

I like the "buy the great deals and then move away" plan, though!  

Quoted:

I had one of the old Benelli semiauto imports from HK.  I'm not sure what you mean by the other comment ... you are confused by the manual of arms?  Or you don't know what "manual of arms" is?

I've never heard that term before, I had to look it up....."at the balance". I was thinking manual like manual operation or pump action (Benelli NOVA) or the instuction manual
Sorry.

Too bad you did not like the "balance" of the Benelli shotgun. For me there is no other shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've never heard that term before, I had to look it up....."at the balance". I was thinking manual like manual operation or pump action (Benelli NOVA) or the instuction manual
Sorry.

Too bad you did not like the "balance" of the Benelli shotgun. For me there is no other shotgun.

I've never heard it used for balance before.  I'd always understood it to mean the means and methods of operating a gun - loading, unloading, readying to fire, clearing drills, and so on.

Which was the problem I had with the B.  I want to pop a round into the tube, pump or rack the bolt, and then pull the trigger for a satisfying booming noise.  I understand that the B is supposed to have neat features for single shell loading and suchlike, but I'm just a simple country lawyer - too many gizzwhackies on a gun are too confusing to my poor old brain.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top