Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 4:23:35 PM EDT
Have a form 1 and an wondering what the best way to cut down my 870 barrel? Its a 12g non-vent rib barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're near Houston take it to Vanden Burgs
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Dallas
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The best way is to simply buy a new 14" Remington barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Any competent gunsmith can do it.  Even incompetent ones can probably do it.  I had a shop do it a few years ago for $40 which included relocating the bead.  I am sure ADCOfirearms would do it as they already cut rifle barrels.  It definitely isn't out of their capacity to do it.  

I will soon do a Form 1 on my Remington 870 as well.  I am tempted to cut & crown the barrel myself.  Brownells sell that crowning tool.  I figure I can hacksaw off the barrel and file to square it up.  Then use the crowning tool to finish the barrel.  Some cold blue and I am good to go.  I already have a clamp on ghost ring front sight, so I don't need to remount a bead.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a bandsaw, a file, and some cold blue.  Bead....I don't need no stinkin' bead.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The best way is to simply buy a new 14" Remington barrel.

Would love to get if it didn't cost so much to begin with.
And am looking to go about 12.5" not 14".
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Cut with a dremel, squared with a belt sander, finished by hand. Cold blued, and then sprayed.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty sharp, I haven't seen a vent rib done like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's pretty sharp, I haven't seen a vent rib done like that.

Neither had I, and since I have a penchant for unique flairs on my project guns...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top