Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2008 7:27:06 PM EDT
Im debating on putting a ghost ring sight on my Moss 500 slug barrel vs rifle sights. The shotgun has been for deer hunting and I want to upgrade from a bead. All of my shotgun hunting is less than 100yards, mostly under 50yards for that matter. I have not used ghost rings for hunting before so any input would be appreciated. They seem fast but I wonder about accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as the ghost ring sights are installed properly and sighted with your hunting ammo they will be as accurate as rifle type sights.
One concern is that the front post on most GR sets are pretty wide.
At the further ranges, out near your 100yd limit, it blocks a big piece of critter from your view.
I use a low powered variable scope on my slug hunting shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Postban makes several good points the most important being how wide is your front sight and is it changeable?

If you have a bead type front or can get one, or narrow the blade by filing it down, you're in good shape.  Call Brownell tech support and let them set you up with a set of Williams 5D or FoolProof sights that will mount on top of your receiver.  Adjust the front blade or bead to your preferred width and REMOVE THE APERTURE for a true ghost ring sight.  Get what ever sized aperture you want to hunt with and you're set up.

These sights are not tacticool, but they're strong as hell and very functional.  I've used them for years on various guns and never had a problem.

Aperture sights are the most accurate type of iron sights made.  Properly adjusted and used there are no other 'rifle sights' made that are as good.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top