Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 1:44:03 PM EDT
Have any of you experienced a hard ejection on a Remington 870 Express Super Mag.  Shoots 2-3/4, 3, and 3-1/2 shells, once fired it is hard to pull back the pump, but if I cycle rounds that have not been fired, no problems.  I think I was shooting Winchester “Universal” 2-3/4”, 3DR. EQ., 1-1/8oz, 7-1/2 shot from Wal-Mart.  Could this be a case where the plastic shells are sticking to the inside of the barrel?  Oh the gun is brand new, and only has about 30 rounds through it.  I plan on getting more trigger time next week, but was looking to see if any of you have experienced this.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sticky extraction is becoming a common problem in shotguns, especially NEW guns.

There are two major causes:

1.  Failure to clean a new gun.
New Remington's have a storage lube on them and in the chamber.  Unless this is cleaned out, and new lube is applied, the factory lube can get dirty and turn into a sticky mess that can cause problems.

The "fix":  Clean the gun inside and out, and scrub the bore and chamber thoroughly.
Many shotgunners buy a special chamber cleaning brush and handle just to keep the chamber clean.  Lubricate the gun with fresh lube of your choice.

2. Cheap ammo.
This is THE major cause of failures to extract.
The "fix":  Try some better quality ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you have sticky "extraction", not sticky ejection.

I too had this problem.

Purchased a new 870 HD model about two months ago.  Seemed that ALL ammo was "sticking" after the round was fired.  Seems a lot of guys are having this problem.  Some guys have good luck by chucking a bore brush on a short length of cleaning rod in a cordless drill and using brake cleaner and really scrubbing out the chamber.  

Tried that on mine but still a little "sticky"  So . . . I lightly polished the chamber area with 1200 grit emery cloth.

Now works 100%  !  Fired 50 rounds of slugs and buckshot as fast as I could get them loaded and had ZERO problems.  Barrel got HOT ! !

Now runs 100% with the cheap Wally World ammo -- and everythig else too . . .

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, I think it is the cheap ammo, I also shot some Remington shells, and I don't think I had a problem with them.  I tried to cycle the spent shells (cheap Win. shells) through the gun, they will not chanber, but the Remington spent shells will cycle.  I will try some different shells next weekend, and post a progress report.

Thanks,
D
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
i have the same situation. I bought a case of the cheap winchester bird shot and it wouldnt eject. out of 50 shells i had to slam the butt to the ground 20 times.The more i shot and harder i pumped the easier it got. I called remington and they said to try better ammo. I had no problems with winchester super x sluggers. I personally think its the steel bases on the shot shells vs the brass bases on the sluggers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the exact same problem with those exact same rounds... Everything else works just fine (Winchester X slugs, Remington Buckshot, i.e).

The only good thing about those rounds are the price...but when you factor in the problems they cause, they aren't worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top