Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2007 12:54:47 PM EDT
I think I've gotten a bug and I'd appreciate any info I can get on these bad boys.

Can I buy a stripped 870 Super Mag reciever and build it with the better wingmaster internals?  Are parts like barrels, Etc. interchangeable? Any experience with them?  I'd love to make an HD beast out of one.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 870 Mag thats my go to gun here at the house.  I'd just like a super mag for fun, who doesn't want to shoot 3.5?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
SOME parts are interchangeable but many aren't and since Super Magnum replacement parts are all factory new, they can get expensive to buy.

Recoil from the Super Magnum is BRUTAL and in a HD gun will actually make the gun LESS effective, since it slows down follow up shots.
(You CAN miss with a shotgun, and there may be more than one.  You may NEED fast follow up shots).

If you have the money and want the BEST, buy a Remington 870 Police.
For fun in building a HD gun, find an older Wingmaster and use it.

No offense, but the people who plan on using 3 1/2" Super Magnum shells in an HD gun are usually the same type of people who carry a Dirty Harry 6 inch .44 Magnum or a Desert Eagle .50 for a CCW gun.
They're not really serious people, and constantly comment about how much their cannon will "Blow people up".
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#6]

No offense, but the people who plan on using 3 1/2" Super Magnum shells in an HD gun are usually the same type of people who carry a Dirty Harry 6 inch .44 Magnum or a Desert Eagle .50 for a CCW gun.
They're not really serious people, and constantly comment about how much their cannon will "Blow people up".

Haha, no offense taken.  I'm not one of those.  I carry 9mm because that is what I am most accurate with, and (flame suit on) i don't give a shit about "my .45 is bigger" because I can put all 16 shots exactly where I want them, and then follow up with another 15.  I already have a go to shotgun at the house which is more than adequate.  Nothing fancy, just the 870 mag.  I already have my "serious" weapons.

I'm just entertaining the thought of a fun gun, like an ar pistol, its just for kicks.  I like the idea of having another shotty that can handle any load.

-Matt
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
i have  a super magnum and i am probably never going to shoot a 3 1/2" shell, theres just no reason for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Even in a semi, it will make your teeth hurt when shooting 3.5s.  Mine are just recovering from about 10 rounds of 1 3/8 oz Kent Steel loads out of a Benelli Super Black Eagle II this past Sunday.  

I am a long time trap shooter and would typically fire 75- 2 3/4" loads every Wednesday, but the 3.5 is fricking brutal!!!

Edit:  I'm not dirty harry, I like to hunt the goose!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you just want a fun gun (You aren't a masochist by any chance are you?) go for it.

The gun itself will cost more, and the Super Magnum-specific parts will cost more because there are as yet no sources of used parts.
What parts you can get are factory-new and are going to cost.

For a list of just what parts are specific to the Super, check over the Remington factory parts list.
Hint: Almost ALL Super parts are specific ONLY to the Super.  There are very few parts that will interchange with the standard 870.
Also, few if any companies make "HD" parts or accessories for the Super.

www.remington.com/pdfs/rempartslist.pdf

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a 870 Mag thats my go to gun here at the house.  I'd just like a super mag for fun, who doesn't want to shoot 3.5?

I sure as fuck don't.

Shot it one year for turkeys and went back to 3" after that.

Ugh.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a super mag and like it.

I shoot 3.5's for turkey, it's not THAT bad.  You can shoot 2 3/4" or 3" out of a Super, you can't shoot 3.5's out of a 3" chamber.

For a strictly HD gun, I wouldn't use a Super, but if you're going for a single 870 to do everything from HD to an impromptu weekend goose or turkey hunting trip, it's just what the doctor ordered.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
if you're a bad enough shot you need a full 3.5" for a 15-20 pound game bird, perhaps it's time to find other pursuits.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if you're a bad enough shot you need a full 3.5" for a 15-20 pound game bird, perhaps it's time to find other pursuits.  

It gives you more shot pellets, which can give you better pattern density and better kills, but I think you already know that.  It gives you the same payload as a 10 gauge.

It has nothing to do with 'bad enough shot'; a miss is a miss whether it's a 2 3/4" or a 3.5".  But a well-patterned 3.5 will put more pellets in the brain/spine than a 2 3/4" or 3", which can result in cleaner kills.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one and love it, but I don't believe I've put more than a box of 3.5" through it.  I only did it while goose hunting, and exactly twice at clay pigeons.   That was enough for me.  I'll only do it hunting, anymore.

By all means, get one, but I'm not sure how long shooting 3.5" shells just for the hell of it will last.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a great way to sink a boatload of money into something silly.  Just buy a standard Police or Wingmaster.  You won't ever use the 3.5" capability.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It gives you more shot pellets, which can give you better pattern density and better kills, but I think you already know that.  It gives you the same payload as a 10 gauge.

It has nothing to do with 'bad enough shot'; a miss is a miss whether it's a 2 3/4" or a 3.5".  But a well-patterned 3.5 will put more pellets in the brain/spine than a 2 3/4" or 3", which can result in cleaner kills.

13 birds, only one of which was killed with a 3.5--the rest with a 3".  none of them seemed to complain about the size of shell I was using.  do you prefer 250's or 300's in your .375 H&H when you're going after coues deer?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

13 birds, only one of which was killed with a 3.5--the rest with a 3".  none of them seemed to complain about the size of shell I was using.  do you prefer 250's or 300's in your .375 H&H when you're going after coues deer?

ArmedFerret, I have no idea what makes you so adamantly against, to the point of ridicule, the 3.5" turkey guns.  Whatever makes you feel better.  You must have really got walloped.

I've killed plenty of turkeys with 2 3/4", 3" and 3.5" 12 ga., and one with a 3" 20 ga. with modified choke.  Of course a 3" will work just fine for turkey.  It has for years.  I had an SP10 and didn't like it because a) it was heavy and b) mine didn't pattern worth shit.  So rather than have a 10 ga. that I'd only use for turkey, I sold it and bought a shotgun that will do everything from dove and rabbits to goose and turkey.

When it comes to hunting turkey, it's all about how many pellets you can put in the head/neck area.  I've never heard of anyone complaining before about having TOO MANY shot in the kill zone.  If it gains me an extra 10 yards effective range, or that extra couple pellets keeps a bird from getting away wounded, I'm all for whatever gives me the edge to harvest the game cleanly.

There is no law saying that you have to shoot 3.5" out of a Super Mag.  It shoots 2 3/4" and 3" just fine.  However, for hunting, I wouldn't buy a .30-06 that was incapable of firing any '06 cartridge with a bullet that weighs over 160gr., even if I never plan on shooting a 220gr. bullet.

I fired a handful of shells to see which ones patterened best, bought plenty of them, and shoot maybe two a year at a turkey.  I can handle it.  If the day comes that I can't, I'll shoot 3" turkey loads out of the same gun.

For the OP, if you plan on occasionally hunting anything that you'd like to have a 10ga. for, the 3.5 will allow you to get that performance out of your 12 ga. just by buying the shells and will save you from buying that 10 ga. for occassional use.  You don't have to use the big shells if you don't want to.  For home defense, though, it's totally unnecessary and you won't practice with it as much as you should.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't mean to create a tussle over hunting loads with this thread.  

What I wanted/want was a do all shotgun.  I was interested in knowing about parts and stuff like that.  I have no intention of using 3.5" loads in my house.  I mentioned in a previous post that I already have another 870 for welcoming commitee.

Thanks for the information about parts and what not.  The only other question is that I have to use a 3.5" chambered barrel right?

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Didn't mean to create a tussle over hunting loads with this thread.  

What I wanted/want was a do all shotgun.  I was interested in knowing about parts and stuff like that.  I have no intention of using 3.5" loads in my house.  I mentioned in a previous post that I already have another 870 for welcoming commitee.

Thanks for the information about parts and what not.  The only other question is that I have to use a 3.5" chambered barrel right?

Yes, and those can be ordered direct from Remington.
I don't think I've seen them for sale any place else.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top