Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2007 10:18:33 AM EDT

I just got a new 870 express and now realize the front sight looks canted to the left.  I have double checked to see if the barrel is installed right, and the sight is definitely off.  

Needless to say I am upset.  I haven't even shot it yet.  

I ordered a set of the trijicon ghost ring sights that are supposed to install over the front sight.  How big of a problem will this be.  How would you go about fixing the sight, or is it permenately attached to the barrel?  Anybody else had this problem?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
First, call Remington.  You can send in your bbl for a swap very easily.

Second, you can relieve the bottom of the ST/Trijicon sight and shift it when installing. I am assuming you purchased the ghost ring sight set, not just a bead.   If the bead on the Rem bbl isn't on a ramp, this won't be an issue at all.

You can also dremel the ramp the bead is mounted on until the ST sight will shift to center.  Since the sight will be permanent, altering the barrel ramp will not be an issue.

Yet another option is to send your gun to Wilson.  They were the manufacturer of the Trijicon Ghost rings when I bought mine.  They will install the sights correctly and probably pin the front.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The only phone number I found for remington wasn't for tech support.  I sent off an email in their help section.  

The sights I ordered are the trijicon front and rear ghost ring set.  

What do you mean by ramp?  On mine there is a raised area that is flat on top, and sloped to the front and rear, I would call it a ramp or a pedistall.  The bead is silver looking and is just attached to this pedistall.  It appears the whole piece is slightly to the left.  

I will update with another email to remingtion.  

I was going to have a local gunsmith install my sights before I found out about this issue, I am pretty sure he'd could work around it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same exact problem with mine, using the same ghost ring tritium sights.

Fortunately, it isn't so bad that it is out of the rear sight's adjustment range.  The rear sight has to be drifted fairly far over the the left, but not enough to cause issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top