Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2007 5:57:54 AM EDT
While out at a local hardware store the other day, I saw a weapon for the first time that I had never even heard of, let alone seen.  The gun is an H&R Tracker II slug gun.  It has a rifled bull barrel, and it accepts up to 3" shells.  The guy who had it said that he had heard that some guys were able to hit a fifty cent piece at one hundred yards with every shot.  "Right" I said...  with a 12 gauge?  So... like any good ole American boy... I bought it!  The resulting tests were a little disappointing... I have not hit ANYTHING that I have aimed at, and I am no slouch.  In fact, the other day I shot a few slugs with my brand new H&R at a two by twelve board that I had stood up... and it was about three feet high.  Not once did I hit it from forty yards!

So... I have done some research, and there are those who claim to have achieved incredible accuracy with this weapon, and there are some who claim that it is a waste of money.  I believe that almost any weapon can be made to perform with some research and math.  Therefore... if anyone has played with this weapon, what ammunition performed the best?  Handloads?  Factory?

Thanks,
tz45acp
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned nearly every single slug gun imaginable over the years, and I found the H&R to be the most accurate sluggun of all those I've owned.

I didn't buy this gun because it's what I wanted, but I bought it for my fiance to hunt with.  I bought the 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter because I needed something with minimum recoil.  However, after shooting it to sight it in it became my "go to" slug gun.  I put all my other guns aside and used this one exclusively for deer season.

It sounds to me like your problem may be in your mounts and/or scope setup.  There is no reason it should ever shoot that bad.  I would venture to say the problem is in your optics setup.

As for slugs, I have found that Lightfields, Remington BuckHammers, and Hornady SSTs are some of the best performers.  It does seem that each rifled slug bbl is a little different, however, so what works for one guy might not work as well for the next guy.  

I am 11/11 on deer since buying that 20 gauge and my fiance is 2/2.  I have complete confidence in this weapon and, if I were you, I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Here is a pic of one of the deer that met its demise to it.  If you look closely, you can see the gun in the background.

Clint

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
What slugs did you try? I also get good accuracy from Buckhammers and Lightfieds in my 11-87SP. Were you using foster type slugs? I've pretty much only heard good things about the H&R slug guns.

That is a whopper of a 7 pt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you are chasing around a busted scope.  I have a friend who is like buckfever and has been using the H&R for years.  Very serious about his deer hunting and that is what he uses.

It may only be a single shot, but I have NEVER head of one not being accurate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the H&R ultra slug gun in 20ga  with a nikon scope. I can have two slugs touching at about 100 yard.  Now it was with a rest (4 wheeler rack) and I am not that good of a shot.  The gun is great.  Have had two friends shoot deer at 180 and about 200 yards and put them down. Watch it from my tree stand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I purchased some Hornady SST's the other day, but haven't had the chance to mess with it.  I will check to see if that scope is walking or not.  Thanks again.

tz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top