Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2007 5:41:14 PM EDT
Who here has a Browing Pump Shotgun (BPS)?  I like them b/c they have nice actions, good quality, and bottom eject since I am left handed.  THe way they work though w/ the bottom eject, the way they have tose forks instead of a single broad elevator, I wonder if it is hard to quick load them.  

On a remington shotgun, for example, when you shove a shell in the shoot, the end of it slides nicely across the bottm of the elevator which acts like a little ramp for directing the sheel into the magazine.  Does a browning do this some how?? b/c I don't see how it does this w/ its fork style elevator/ejector.  

Also, are there magazine extensions for the BPS?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure what you are talking about.  I don't have one, I just recently handled one is a shop and observed how the fork in the action serves as both the elevator and ejector.  Once again, lacking a flat elevator paddle to act as a feed ramp during loading of the magazine, is there something else in the BPS to enable quick and easy stuffing of rounds into the magazine?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure what you are getting at eiether. I have hunted with my matching BPS 12/20 gauge highly finished field guns for years, and absolutely love 'em. The 20 gauge with rifle stock is probably the best upland gun I have ever shot. When I learned about the BPS Hicap, I bought one right away. I couldn't be more pleased...
As you know, the gun is bottom feed/eject like an Ithaca 37. The design is very similar to the former....There are two "forks" which recess into the top of the receiver which load and eject shells. There isn't a "paddle" type loader like on a Remington/Mossberg.
Reliability of the BPS is superior, certainly the equal of a M/R/W pump. The bottom feed eliminates an entry for debris but it also prevents you from rapidly feeding single shells into the chamber. Obviously, after shooting your gun dry, its faster to load single shells from the saddle into the chamber as opposed to loading the magazine, then chambering.

As far as I know, magazine extensions don't exist for the BPS. A 3.5 inch gun probably has a fair capacity for 2 3/4 inch shells. The magazine on my BPS hicap is one piece, unlike an 870. I have looked in the past, hoping to build a "defensive" BPS but wasn't successful. I think I paid 350.00 NIB for my Hicap. I absolutely love it, certainly the equal of any Remington/Mossberg/Winchester in terms of a defensive weapon. Accessories are unavailible, but I don't see this as a detrement. My 590A1/870 PM's/1300 Defenders are all tricked out to the max with Speed Feed this and Surefire that. My BPS hicap is SMOOTH, just a standard 8 shot 'guage, suitible for Rock n Roll.
I wouldn't mind a side saddle though....I'd reccomend buying a new or used BPS hicap as opposed to trying to build one.
Great guns...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are trying to shove shells into the magazine hastily are there any edges for the shell to get caught on or do they justl carelessly slide right in?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who here has a Browing Pump Shotgun (BPS)?  I like them b/c they have nice actions, good quality, and bottom eject since I am left handed.  THe way they work though w/ the bottom eject, the way they have tose forks instead of a single broad elevator, I wonder if it is hard to quick load them.  

On a remington shotgun, for example, when you shove a shell in the shoot, the end of it slides nicely across the bottm of the elevator which acts like a little ramp for directing the sheel into the magazine.  Does a browning do this some how?? b/c I don't see how it does this w/ its fork style elevator/ejector.  

Also, are there magazine extensions for the BPS?  

I'm a lefty and use a BPS frequently. It is not hard to load a BPS 'quickly'. However, it is easy to fumble while loading any shotgun if you are trying too hard.

Browning recently introduced a tactical BPS with an extended magazine tube. Although I have searched, I have not found an aftermarket extension for sale separately.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top