Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2007 2:37:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my Mossberg 500. I am happy with it's quality to price ratio.

It's accurate and cycles smooth and cleanly dospatches birds and clays.

That's about all I have to offer. I don't shoot competitions with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
  I own both. The only thing I don't like about the Mossberg is the top mounted safeties have a tendency to wear out and slip back to safe during repeated firing . It's only been an issue on some used ones I bought,  and It's easily repaired.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Its the old - ford vs chevy deal.   I have both, 2 of each.    I personally like the 870 but each person is different.   Last show I was at, lots of Mossy's but few 870s.   Mossys were a steal, saw several under $200
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy the Mossberg and then spend the price differance to send it out to VangComp.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's going to be customized, I would buy a used Wingmaster for $150 - 200.  The older Remingtons were built to a much higher standard than current production Remingtons or Mossbergs.  

Nothing wrong with the 8-shot 500, as long as you like the 20" barrel.  The longer magazine tube isn't compatible with any other 500 barrels.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
so is i can go to my local gunshop and get a mossberg 500 for 150 or 160 it would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it's going to be customized, I would buy a used Wingmaster for $150 - 200.  The older Remingtons were built to a much higher standard than current production Remingtons or Mossbergs.  

Nothing wrong with the 8-shot 500, as long as you like the 20" barrel.  The longer magazine tube isn't compatible with any other 500 barrels.

Agree completely. Stick to your original plan and get the 870. Someday you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I just purchased an 870 Express with a 7 shot tube and a Mossberg 590 with heatshield and 8 shot tube. Both guns are cool...the Mossberg looks way meaner with the heatshield on. Action is smoother on the 870 out of the box.  The bolt on the Mossberg has dual hooks to grab the shells while the 870 only has one. The best thing on the Mossberg is that the shell elevator is in the upward position when the pump handle is locked forward while the 870's elevator is in the downward position. For quick reloading the Mossberg has the edge since there is nothing blocking the opening of the magazine tube. Its just easier access instead of trying to load with the elevator smashing thumbs which is great for quick reloads in competitions.

While you are at it..get a Knoxx stock. I got the Compstock just to maintain the shot gun look instead of the M4 stock. My god the recoil reduction is just amazing. Can shoot shotguns all day with Magnum loads and not get bruised up. Just put 100 rounds thru a friends 870 Police with a recently installed Knoxx Copstock. He was so amazed that he bought one as well. You can really shoot one handed- if you are strong! DArn thing is heavy to hold one handed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Need I say more?

and when in doubt? GET BOTH™
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top