Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2007 6:44:47 PM EDT
So as far as autoloading service/tactical/defensive shotguns go, how does it rate?   Is it worth the cash?

www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m4.tpl

J223...
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO the civilian Benelli M4 is not worth it.  The M4 sells for around $1,400 and it will only hold five shells.

The Benelli M1 or now M2 can be bought for around $1,050 and it will hold five shells, but it is very easy to add a ext. four shot tube.

Both guns will have choke tubes, both will have pistol grip stocks, both can come with ghost ring sights....and both well be very reliable.

To me the Benelli M4 is like the HK Mark 23.

Both are VERY well built weapons and look very cool. However, the HK USP Tactical can do almost every thing the HK Mark 23 can do and the Benelli M2 can do almost everything the M4 can do, for less money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2007 2:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Benelli M4 with the Benelli type plus two extension that I bought for an extra $160 on top of $1400.00 for the M4 . I love it!!! It looks nice sitting next to my ARs at the range and it's alot of fun to fire 00 buck like your firing your AR15. It has a nice feel with the factory pistol grip (full stock) and the sites are nice too. I would say if you're willing to spend around $1500.00 for a shotgun get the M4 you'll enjoy it. I also have a Remington 870 Police with Ghost ring sites and she will also get the job done for around $500.00 .

Good luck,

Link Posted: 6/6/2007 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Benelli M4 entry model (14") and it is the coolest firearm that I have ever owned. I had a M1-S90 with a 14" barrel and the M4 blows it away. Yes it only hold 5 rounds, but you can put one in as a floater and one in the chamber makes this little shotgun a 7 rounder. If you need more than that to take care of a threat, then you better not be in that possition to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Add a 2 round extension (Benelli or U.S. made) to the M4, or replace with the U.S. made 7 round mag tube for a total capacity of 7+1+1 with  2  3/4 inch shells. See this thread on Benelliusa.com for more info on the full-length US tube:

www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7817
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
What is this floater you speak of? Can m1super90's have a floating round?
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it can. You pull the bolt back just prior to the shell lifter coming up. Take a single round and push it down and under the bolt. Let the bolt go home and you are ready to go. Just rack the bolt and it chambers the floating round and doesnt do anything to the rounds in the magazine tube.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its called a "ghost load" in the 3-gun community. Newer M1s and M2s need the bolt to be modified to enable this feature, but older ones have this capability out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its called a "ghost load" ....

Thats also what I give my girl on Mischief Night   .

J223...
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes it can. You pull the bolt back just prior to the shell lifter coming up. Take a single round and push it down and under the bolt. Let the bolt go home and you are ready to go. Just rack the bolt and it chambers the floating round and doesnt do anything to the rounds in the magazine tube.  

so to clarify, I load the chamber and use the bolt release, then stack 7 int he tube, then I pull the botl back enough to slide a shell under it on top of the lifter and then I have 7+1+1?
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
ok i figured it out, very cool to cheat in a ninth round! woo hoo!
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That would pretty much work with all shotguns including the 870P right?

J223...
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The M4 with the American flag engraved sits next to my bed as a first responder.

Plus it's a 12 guage that feels like a lot less re felt recoil.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would pretty much work with all shotguns including the 870P right?

J223...

does nto work with an 870.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember that simply installing an extended mag on an M4 could get you into some legal problems with ATF.  There is a reason the M4 was imported with a crimped mag tube.  I would advise not to do so and then post pics of them here or anywhere on the internet unless you have taken the correct steps to comply with 922r.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Remember that simply installing an extended mag on an M4 could get you into some legal problems with ATF.  There is a reason the M4 was imported with a crimped mag tube.  I would advise not to do so and then post pics of them here or anywhere on the internet unless you have taken the correct steps to comply with 922r.  

It's legal to add a US magazine extension to a Benelli M4.

Link Posted: 6/10/2007 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IMO the civilian Benelli M4 is not worth it.  The M4 sells for around $1,400 and it will only hold five shells.

The Benelli M1 or now M2 can be bought for around $1,050 and it will hold five shells, but it is very easy to add a ext. four shot tube.

Both guns will have choke tubes, both will have pistol grip stocks, both can come with ghost ring sights....and both well be very reliable.

To me the Benelli M4 is like the HK Mark 23.

Both are VERY well built weapons and look very cool. However, the HK USP Tactical can do almost every thing the HK Mark 23 can do and the Benelli M2 can do almost everything the M4 can do, for less money.
The gas systems are different in the M4. They are not the same. And since the ATF has declared a BAN on importation of any shotgun that holds more then 5 shots , the M4 prices have all ready gone up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#17]
yes
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's legal to add a US magazine extension to a Benelli M4.

922r does not allow you to simply add a US made extension without making any other modification.  There are other parts you must replace with US parts in order to be legal (example-gas pistons, stocks, etc), otherwise you will exceed the allowable number of import parts on a non sporting shotgun.  

I believe there used to be a sticky here of an ATF opinion listing all of the parts that they look at in determining 922r compliance.  Of course that opinion is good only for that particular person who wrote asking for the opinion.  In order to be legal and CYA you will have to write them yourself asking for what parts can be replaced with US parts and then replace a certain number of them with US parts before you can legally add the extension tube.  

Big PITA, I doubt many people do all of this this, they just add the tube and go because they either don't know about this stupid ass 922r crap or don't think they will ever be prosecuted.    

Edit:  And once you go through all the hoops of complying with 922r, you have now created a non sporting shotgun.  Unfortunately thanks to the CGA of 1968, ATF can at any time now declare your M4 with extension tube to be a DD, and thats a whole other story that nobody wants to talk about.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have played quite a lot with M1's and M4's and i must say (IMHO) that M4 is absolutely worth of extra money!

Today i do all competitions with my M4, i (for some reason) get faster course times with M4 than M1 (gas piston system works better for me). And not to mention 100% reliability, never had a malfunction!

I have had an extra M4's telescopic stock in my closet for few years, so i just decided to put it in my 870! More pics to come when i get the adapter done...

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The M4 with the American flag engraved sits next to my bed as a first responder.

???.  Mine kicks like a mule, like all 12 ga.  

ETA:  i have one of those collaspable stocks still in the box; can't imagine using it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]

User Info IM User Email User Reply Quote  Report

Quoted:

???. Mine kicks like a mule, like all 12 ga.

I'm comparing the M4 to an old 18" Mossburg Mavarick 88.  M4 kicks but I don't flinch anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Just bought my first Benelli this past weekend and finally got to shoot it yesterday.  It's the M4 Super 90 and it ate everything we feed it without any hesitation.  I must say that it was funny as heel to watch a Hornady TAP 00 Buck round go off after shooting 20-30 clay pigeon loads!  BOOM!

So was it worth it?   HELL YES!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I love mine... Get the tube extension and let er' eat.......
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have played quite a lot with M1's and M4's and i must say (IMHO) that M4 is absolutely worth of extra money!

Today i do all competitions with my M4, i (for some reason) get faster course times with M4 than M1 (gas piston system works better for me). And not to mention 100% reliability, never had a malfunction!

www.hunt101.com/img/303317-big.jpg

I have had an extra M4's telescopic stock in my closet for few years, so i just decided to put it in my 870! More pics to come when i get the adapter done...

www.hunt101.com/img/498593-big.jpg

I wonder if that stock would work on an FN SLP?

96Ag
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#25]

That M4 stock is worth more than the Remington shotgun
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm still waiting for someone to release a pistol grip for the Winchester X2 Practical or FN SLP.  Seems like there's a huge untapped market waiting.

ETA I OWN PAGE 2!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for someone to release a pistol grip for the Winchester X2 Practical or FN SLP.  Seems like there's a huge untapped market waiting.

ETA I OWN PAGE 2!!!

Absolutely, if they make a stock similar to the M4 or even a Speedfeed IVs I will start looking for one.

96Ag
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
ETA I OWN PAGE 2!!!

Yeah -- but I own the thread ---

J223...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top