Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2006 4:45:08 PM EDT
I got this shotgun from a coworker a long time ago.  His wife didn't like guns and he just gave it to me.  It actually is nice and reliable.  I haven't been into shotguns alot but I have an interest.  I've been thinking for about a year how I want to set this thing up.  

Here it is:

My mission for this gun after I'm done with it would be a turkey / defense / possibly deer gun.  But I usually deer hunt where I can use a rifle.  So the first two missions are the most important.  I've never been turkey hunting and this year my brother and I want to start.  Our state requires shotguns for turkey.  Otherwise, I'd use a rifle.

So this is what I want to do:

1. shave a little off of the stock so it fits me better.  Probably a 1/2"
2. Cut the barrel down to 19"
3. Paint the sucker.  OD and some dark brown maybe.
4. Get a USGI sling for it, or something like that.

Now, you say, you haven't talked about chokes, if you're going to shoot turkey, you can't just use a Cylinder barrel unless your like 10 yards from them (I'm just talking, I don't know what effective range would be.  But here's my solution with a question.  I have this old bolt action shotgun, I think it's a jc higgins or something and it has this adjustable choke on the end of it:

Is it possible to get it off that barrel and remount??  I have no clue how it's on there and not completely sure how I would remount it.  And not really sure how effective it would be.  But it would be kind of cool if I could get it to work because I could do it all myself.

Also, if I wanted to, what other kinds of sights are available to mount on there?  My receiver is tapped and wondering if there are any products that you can buy that mate to the holes already tapped from the factory.

Also, should I just buy a new trigger or you think the paint will stick to it?  I hate that gold thing.  Maybe I'd need to sand it first?

Any help is much apprecitated!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
if it will be used for hunting i would buy a seperate 18.5 inch bbl for the HD aspect and keep the 24 inch slugster for hunting. i started of with the exact same thing you have there (except i bought mine used with a horrible home done camo job for$130). and turned it into this (see pic) for HD as far as the adjustable choke i have no idea. sorry

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top